Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mouse moves but clicks don't work occasionally

Beans

Mouse moves but clicks don't work occasionally

Hi, let me start of by saying I'm new to Ubuntu and I don't know how to work well with it (yet).
    Today I installed xubuntu because I was interested in ubuntu after using it on a live cd, however I liked the xfce interface more than the unity so I decided to go with xubuntu.
    After using it for a while I noticed I was having problems with the mouse ( I have a Cyborg R.A.T. 7 ).
    Sometimes it just 'freezes' I can move it around and interact with the current window but I can't click on anything else, I know it sounds weird so I'll try to explain it by using an example.
    So if I open Firefox I can click on the adress bar, tabs, etc... but I cant click on anyting in the menu bar or on minimize, maximize or close.
    I neither can click on anything on the UI on top or use the docking station on the bottom.
    I noticed that if I right click on the tabs or something which opens a menu if you right click it I can interact with everything again untill it bugs again.
    Now I know you might say 'Well problem solved' but if I close something I cant right-click anywhere so I can't interact with something else.

Edit: Some shortcuts do not works: Alt + Tab for one does not work, will edit if I find more.

Help would be apreciated

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Shadowblink; May 10th, 2013 at 04:35 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Mouse moves but clicks don't work occasionally

So it's not just your mouse but keyboard as well? Does this happen in any other program besides firefox?
    Have you tried a different mouse/different USB port?

Beans

Well I don't think that it's my keyboard as well because other shortcuts do work like bringing up the terminal or switching to another workspace, I think it's a problem with interacting with other windows, yeah it happens in every program/window.
    No I haven't tried a different port, I have unplugged and replugged but that didn't work, I will try a different port now

Edit: Pushing a button on my mouse to switch between profiles seems to fix it temporarily as well
    Edit 2: Different port didn't work
    Last edited by Shadowblink; May 10th, 2013 at 05:24 PM.

Beans

Am I allowed to bump this ?

Beans

I'm having this exact same problem on regular Ubuntu 13.04. It's hard to search for online because I just get results like "mouse doesn't work" or "touchpad not detected". But the problem is subtle as the OP described.

My laptop has an synaptics touchpad which works correctly. But when I plug in an external mouse, both the mouse and the pad have the problem described. Clicks are recognized within the focused app, but I can't focus any other app. I can't do any window-management tasks (maximize, minimize, move, etc).

When I unplug the mouse, the touchpad goes back to working properly.

And I didn't notice before reading this thread, but alt-tab doesn't work either. Unity seems to work, I can bring up the dash with <Super>, and <Super>+S works to bring up the workspace picker.

<Alt>+<Tab> and <Super>+W do not work with the mouse plugged in.

Sounds like a Compiz bug, right? I'm not sure.

Beans

It's exactly as you say, I've searched online but with no result.

However I think you can describe it more accurate because I'm really unexperienced with Ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowblink View Post
    It's exactly as you say, I've searched online but with no result.

However I think you can describe it more accurate because I'm really unexperienced with Ubuntu
    Crappy Workaround: I was able to get my mouse working by disabling the touchpad in system settings. At least I can carry on with my work now (photo editing with a touchpad: miserable), but I know touchpad+mouse has worked in the past on Ubuntu. Not sure what changed.

Beans

OK, even weirder. After enabling the touchpad with the mouse connected, everything works as it should with both inputs.

How about that!

EDIT: spoke a little too soon. So the disable-touchpad thing isn't really a workaround. Although I could get move/maximize on the usb mouse with the touchpad disabled, it was inconsistent. Sometimes I could get the mouse to work. But even when the mouse seemed to be working: the window I clicked didn't actually get focus.

I could move windows using the mouse, and the window I clicked became the top-most window on screen. But, that window can't receive keyboard input, and the window's title stays dim, suggesting it doesn't have focus.
    Last edited by theBishop; May 13th, 2013 at 02:08 AM.

Beans

You're saying it might be a problem with touchpad + mouse but I'm a desktop user so that can't really be the core of the problem.

Also I'm not sure if this is just a problem with drivers or such but I'm having trouble to get sound working correctly, if I have sound in Skype I don' have sound in my browser or vice versa. It might be linked to the problem of interacting with different windows, not sure though because clementine seems to work all the time.

Beans

Bump... Please help :s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast