Thread: Gmail webapp not being tracked by Unity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Gmail webapp not being tracked by Unity

Hello.

I have installed (i.e. accepted the webapp installation prompts within Firefox) both Gmail and Twitter as Unity webapps, so that I can launch them directly from the side panel. One thing has me puzzled though: when I launch Twitter, it behaves similar to a regular application (except for the fact that it also causes a browser instance to be launched). Unity seems to track its execution, showing indicators (those little arrows) on both sides of the Twitter app icon. This, however, is not the case with the Gmail launcher. Clicking on it causes the browser to be opened and taken to the Gmail page, but there are no indicators on the Gmail icon, as if it served as a mere link and nothing else.

Is there a way to make the Gmail Unity webapp behave the same way Twitter's does? I have checked the .desktop files for both launchers but found nothing of relevance. Just in case, I'm posting their contents below.
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Twitter
    Type=Application
    Icon=unity-webapps-twitter
    MimeType=
    Actions=S0;S1;S2;S3;S4;S5;S6;S7;S8;S9;S10;
    Exec=unity-webapps-runner -n 'VHdpdHRlcg==' -d 'twitter.com' %u
    StartupWMClass=Twittertwittercom
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=GMail
    Type=Application
    Icon=unity-webapps-gmail
    MimeType=
    Actions=S0;S1;S2;S3;S4;S5;S6;S7;S8;S9;S10;
    Exec=unity-webapps-runner -n 'R01haWw=' -d 'mail.google.com' %u
    StartupWMClass=GMailmailgooglecom
    Thank you in advance for any tips.
    Ney André de Mello Zunino

Beans

Re: Gmail webapp not being tracked by Unity

It happens to me also. With Facebook it is ok, it integrates with Unity, the icon on it being a link to Facebook tab in the browser. I can also see Facebook in the messaging menu and I'm notified everytime I get a message or notification, just like an incoming email on Thunderbird (mail envelope turns blue). The problem's with Gmail (whose webapp was supposed to do it also). It is not working at all, despite for an icon in Unity that only opens Gmail on a new Firefox window.

I guess webapps are still buggy on 13.10 or is there a way around?

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This problem started in 13.04 with an update. The gmail webapp does not indicate the number of messages, nor does it show in indicator messages, nor does it go to an already open gmail tab. Rather it opens a new instance of firefox every time. Google calendar webapp on the other hand works exactly as expected. I am currently using gmail-indicator instead which does change the message envelope and gives notifications but also does not switch to the open tab....

see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...mail+indicator

Beans

That's good to know there's nothing wrong with the system itself. I wonder if Unity Mail does the trick and it's a good option. Which would be more reliable and recommended to patch the webapps bugs so far, gmail-notifier or Unity Mail?