Thread: lost sound

Beans

lost sound

While I enjoy (and prefer) Ubuntu, a sound problem has developed out of the blue, that is to say, I do not know why or what happened. I am running 12.04 LT ever since it came out without any hickups. Periodically I check for updates and last week I was offered an update for Adobe Flashplayer, which I downloaded via Software Centre. I am not 100% sure, but if memory serves me correctly, the problem appeared after the download. Now, call me Greenhorn or whatever, who can help??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: lost sound

Is the problem just a lack of sound? And have you tried going into the System Settings, then to Sound, and checking the levels there? Also, have you tried opening an application that you want to play sound, attempting to play sound using it, and then, while is is still playing, checking the Applications tab of the Sound window in System Settings, and making sure the level is not set to zero or something?

Hope this helps
    I am an Ubuntu Padawan.

Beans

Re: lost sound

Yes thank you , I have now solved the problem. It was in deed just a matter of getting in to systems/sound and it was clear what was wrong, namely the difference between analog and digital. I switched to analog and there was sound. The only thing that puzzles me still is, what happened in the first place?
    Last edited by lemy; May 14th, 2013 at 12:42 PM.