Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mount partitions via fstab?

Beans

Re: Mount partitions via fstab?

If I take KDE out of this situation:

[1] There is no "Automount at Login" under System Setting or anywhere else I can find.
    [2] Ubuntu doesn't automount anything unless it's in fstab, you created a script to do the mounting, or it's an external storage device.

It may appear to the user to be auto mounted since there is a link to the unmounted partition under Devices in Nautilus but it's only mounted when selected. The biggest clue to this being the case is that permissions to access the ntfs partition is limited to you alone.

And except for the mount point it would mount it just like you posted:
    /dev/sdb1 /media/DATA fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,bl ksize=4096 0 0
    There's only one teensie little problem: it's mounting it in the wrong place.
    Prior to Ubuntu 12.10 the system would mount these partition to /media/LABEL just as you posted but from Ubuntu 12.10 on it mounts to /media/$USER/LABEL so your line should look like this:
    /dev/sdb1 /media/your-user-name/DATA fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,bl ksize=4096 0 0
    Curiouser and curiouser.

Sure you don't already have an entry for this in /etc/fstab? By any chance is this a Wubi install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    [2] Ubuntu doesn't automount anything unless it's in fstab, you created a script to do the mounting, or it's an external storage device.
    This doesn't appear to be true. My /etc/fstab only mounts two partitions: / and swap. No windows partition is mentioned in /etc/fstab

Meanwhile, two different windows partitions are listed on /etc/mtab, and both are mounted automatically.

It may appear to the user to be auto mounted since there is a link to the unmounted partition under Devices in Nautilus but it's only mounted when selected.
    This isn't the case. All windows partitions are mounted without even running any file manager. As I'm using KDE, and the default file manager is Dolphin, Nautilus isn't being used or clicked on.

In addition, KDE includes the Device Notifier widget, which lists which drives have been mounted and offers options to unmount them as well. This widget does not list any windows partition.

Sure you don't already have an entry for this in /etc/fstab? By any chance is this a Wubi install?
    I'm sure these partitions aren't mounted through /etc/fstab. I'm not aware which method was used to install Ubuntu on this computer.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GreatBunzinni View Post
    Meanwhile, two different windows partitions are listed on /etc/mtab, and both are mounted automatically.
    To be more precise, only one partition is actually a windows partition. The other is a separate hard drive which happens to be formatted with a NTFS file system.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

My /etc/fstab only mounts two partitions: / and swap. No windows partition is mentioned in /etc/fstab
    I'm not familiar with KDE (nor do I want to touch it with a 10-foot computing pole) but fstab should always take precedence. Simply try adding records for partitions you want to mount and see if it works. If you're concerned about data integrity, I don't think that an attempt to mount an already mounted partition could case any damage to data. I've never heard of such occurrences either. Still, nothing stops you from making a backup first, especially since it's handy to have one in any case.

Beans

First and Foremost I would follow the sage advice of prodigy_ because this doesn't seem possible:
    My /etc/fstab only mounts two partitions: / and swap. No windows partition is mentioned in /etc/fstab
    Unless ......
    I'm not aware which method was used to install Ubuntu on this computer.
    ** Look at your /etc/fstab file. If it mentions /host it's a wubi install.
    ** Based on theWubiGuide:
    How do I access the Windows drives?

The Windows partition where you installed Wubi is available as /host within Ubuntu (Places > Computer > File System > Host) All the other partitions will be available under Places > Removable Media
    If KDE has in fact a "automount at login" for removable drives ( which would have to be looked at in context of Wubi ) and you have a Wubi install your posts begin to make sense. There would only be references to "/" and swap in fstab and both your ntfs partitions would mount automatically.

Would mounting these partitions in fstab affect how Wubi / KDE is mounting these drives? I do not know as my lack of experience with KDE is second only to that of Wubi.
    Last edited by Morbius1; May 21st, 2013 at 12:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro

** Look at your /etc/fstab file. If it mentions /host it's a wubi install.
    I've looked at /etc/fstab and there is no "host" string in it.

Beans
    Distro

Besides adding entries to fstab, is there any other way Ubuntu and/or Unity can be configured to automatically mount drives?

Beans
    Distro

Does anyone care to take a stab at this issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Besides adding entries to fstab, is there any other way Ubuntu and/or Unity can be configured to automatically mount drives?
    Are you using Autofs?
    autofs is a program for automatically mounting directories on an as-needed basis. Auto-mounts are mounted only as they are accessed, and are unmounted after a period of inactivity...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    Are you using Autofs?
    I don't believe I am. I've looked for /etc/auto.master and there is no such file in my file system.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast