Thread: Beep on startup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Beep on startup

I'm fairly sure this isn't strictly because of my Ubuntu install, but just before my GRUB screen appears, and I select which OS I want (I dual boot Ubuntu 12.04LTS and CrunchBang Statler), my laptop makes a rather loud beep. This has happened ever since I got my laptop, which is a Packard Bell EasyNote, some 7 or 8 years old now, though I only got it last year. It suddenly occurred to me that this might be alerting me to some problem - should I be worried, and if so, what steps should I take to resolve this?

Thanks in advance for suggestions
    Last edited by 25tom; May 10th, 2013 at 10:41 AM.
    I am an Ubuntu Padawan.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Beep on startup

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by 25tom View Post
    I'm fairly sure this isn't strictly because of my Ubuntu install, but just before my GRUB screen appears, and I select which OS I want (I dual boot Ubuntu 12.04LTS and CrunchBang Statler), my laptop makes a rather loud beep. This has happened ever since I got my laptop, which is a Packard Bell EasyNote, some 7 or 8 years old now, though I only got it last year. It suddenly occurred to me that this might be alerting me to some problem - should I be worried, and if so, what steps should I take to resolve this?

Thanks in advance for suggestions
    It's a BIOS beep code and it can be used to identify BIOS problems. A single short beep means all is good.

Look in the BIOS to see if there is a way to switch it off. Look for an option like "disable internal speaker" or something like that.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Beep on startup

All is good then - thank you! I'll know to (possibly) panic if it does anything else in terms of beeping!
    I am an Ubuntu Padawan.