Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enable Global Menu in Xubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Enable Global Menu in Xubuntu

Hi, I was using Xubuntu, but I want a change. Could you please recomend me another desktop enviroment? I want it mostly fast and I would like options and menus on a top bar (like in OSX).

Thank you for every help.
    Last edited by ViliX64; May 11th, 2013 at 11:55 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Best desktop envrioment

Hello!

Xubuntu is pretty configurable and there are lots of themes available. You could make that look just about any way you'd like. Out-of-the-box basic is not the only option. There are themes that make it look like Windows or OSX or whatever.

But if you want something else light and fast, you can give Lubuntu a try. I've never used it and I don't know how much configuration it allows. Some people swear by it, though.

You could try MATE, Enlightenment, Cinnamon or even something in development like Pantheon.

There are all sorts of great things out there. Best wishes.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi ViliX64.

Here are a few ideas:
    • Take a look at the Lubuntu project. If you like what you see, you can install the environment over Xubuntu:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get -s install lubuntu-desktop
      Note: the panel can be moved to the top.
    • Ubuntu released a Gnome remix. From here and here, I understand that now it includes an extension called "classic" that is the closest thing to Gnome v2 style.
    • Last idea: outside Ubuntu but based on it: Bodhi Linux (Enlightened desktop environment).

Just some thoughts.
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ViliX64 View Post
    I want it mostly fast and I would like options and menus on a top bar (like in OSX).
    Well, there's GNOME, not the shell but GNOME fallback (or "Classic" as Ubuntu calls it). Fallback comes with a menu on top just like GNOME 2, looks ugly at first but that can be fixed, and it's pretty fast on my PC. You can get it on *buntu 12.04/12.10/13.04/13.10 with "aptitude install gnome-session-fallback". Or you can get Ubuntu GNOME Remix 12.10 which comes with both fallback and shell.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Pinguy OS pretty good OS loads of software everything configured right out of the box and looks well.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Hi, I was using Xubuntu, but I want a change. Could you please recomend me another desktop enviroment? I want it mostly fast and I would like options and menus on a top bar (like in OSX).

Like QIII said, Xubuntu is pretty configurable and there are lots of themes available and if you're looking for something similar to OSX, you have Greybird-Mac, which is a theme for Xfce, and it's a fusion between CratOS-lion by zayronXIO and Greybird.

Here's a screenshot.

Beans

Not exactly a Desktop Environment (strictly speaking a Window Manager) but all the cool guys are using Fluxbox...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

I've come across a question like this before. I think OP wants a DE with a Global Menu.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How can I enable Global Menu then?

Beans

How can I enable Global Menu then?
    What exactly do you want? If you want the Global Menu, use Ubuntu (Unity) where it is available as the default. I read somewhere that there is or was a way to add it to Xubuntu.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast