Thread: ubunutu 12.04 secret touchpad tap

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ubunutu 12.04 secret touchpad tap

I discovered this completely by luck - when you mark a text, and you tap the upper right corner of the touch pad, it pastes it (eventough you havent copied it)

where can i find more of these little cranks of 12.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: ubunutu 12.04 secret touchoad tap

the top left of hte mousepad is mouse button 0, no idea what that is for but is is different
    nice find, btw that is middle click not paste, it is like clicking with the wheel on your mouse

nrv it is "is_hint 0" what ever that is
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; May 10th, 2013 at 04:14 AM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro

dude, and lower right is right click.
    i'm on fire!

and why do i feel like everybody else knew these, just no one told us?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    the top left of hte mousepad is mouse button 0, no idea what that is for but is is different
    nice find, btw that is middle click not paste, it is like clicking with the wheel on your mouse

nrv it is "is_hint 0" what ever that is
    yeah, when I click on text that I'm editing with top left, the cursor doesn't go there. I wish I knew what it did.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by layers View Post
    yeah, when I click on text that I'm editing with top left, the cursor doesn't go there. I wish I knew what it did.
    i guess we could bind it to a compiz function, maybe open dash or window picker or something
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: ubunutu 12.04 secret touchpad tap

Quote Originally Posted by layers View Post
    I discovered this completely by luck - when you mark a text, and you tap the upper right corner of the touch pad, it pastes it (eventough you havent copied it)

where can i find more of these little cranks of 12.04?
    It's a property of the synaptics touchpad driver - pretty common in laptops, and not really related to Ubuntu.
    There are four variables for four corners: RTCornerButton, RBCornerButton, LTCornerButton, LBCornerButton.
    Each can take the value of 0,1,2,3, which stand for disable, left click, right click, middle click.
    The top right corner is usually assigned the 3 - middle click value, and the bottm right 2 - right click, while the left corners are disabled.
    You can change those, for example, to assign left click to the bottom left corner, try synclient LBCornerButton=1.

PS: If you like reading long manuals, take a look at man synaptics
    Last edited by mikewhatever; May 12th, 2013 at 04:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: ubunutu 12.04 secret touchpad tap

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    It's a property of the synaptics touchpad driver - pretty common in laptops, and not really related to Ubuntu.
    There are four variables for four corners: RTCornerButton, RBCornerButton, LTCornerButton, LBCornerButton.
    Each can take the value of 0,1,2,3, which stand for disable, left click, right click, middle click.
    The top right corner is usually assigned the 3 - middle click value, and the bottm right 2 - right click, while the left corners are disabled.
    You can change those, for example, to assign left click to the bottom left corner, try synclient LBCornerButton=1.

PS: If you like reading long manuals, take a look at man synaptics
    Should be noted that synclient settings are non-persistent and reset on reboot or resume from suspend. However, you can create a script using synclient and have it run at exactly those times by setting its path in dconf as the "hotplug command." Navigate to org.gnome.desktop.settings-daemon.peripherals.input-devices and enter the path for your script (such as /home/username/.trackpadsettings.sh).
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~