Thread: Help with maxview program for viewing .max files

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Help with maxview program for viewing .max files

I have some old .max files that were created by paperport. I found a program called maxview http://sourceforge.net/projects/maxview/
    that claims it can read them and convert them to .pdf. They are just image files. I don't know about 3D stuff.
    I downloaded the maxview program and ended up with a debian icon on my desktop that looks like a cardboard box with a red squiggle, and titled maxview_0.7-1_i386.deb. I haven't sussed those debian icons out yet. When I clicked on it it asked me if I wanted to open it with Ubuntu software centre so I said Yes, and the software centre says it has been installed, but how do I run it? I can't see it under Ubuntu "applications" and when I click on a .max file it doesn't present me with "maxview" in the list of options.

I did post a similar question to this elswhere, with teh main intention of informing the OP about maxview, but it was at the end of a thread and hasn't received any answers.

I have Ubuntu 12.04 XP Dual Boot. Which has been working perfectly from the word go, which was last September. And a twin core Athlone AMD processor. Does that mean I should opt for AMD 64 and not i386 when downloading the maxview debian installation file? Edit Post Quick Reply Adv Reply Reply With Quote

+ Reply to Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Help with maxview program for viewing .max files

Try running the program from a terminal to see if you get any errors...
    Code:
    maxview
    Quote Originally Posted by benawhile View Post
    Does that mean I should opt for AMD 64 and not i386 when downloading the maxview debian installation file?
    That depends on which version of Ubuntu you have installed. If you are running 64-bit then use the amd64 deb file, if you are running 32-bit then you should use the i386 version. You can see which version of Ubuntu you are running by going to System Settings > Details.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks, interesting result:

Ran in terminal and got this:

ben@BENCOMPUTERUBUNTU:~$ maxview
    maxview - An electronic filing cabinet: scan, print, stack, arrange

(C) 2009 Simon Glass, chch-kiwi@users.sourceforge.net, v0.7

Usage: maxview <opts> <dir/file>

-p|--pdf convert given file to .pdf
    -m|--max convert given file to .max
    -j|--jpeg convert given file to .jpg
    -v|--verbose be verbose
    -h|--help display this usage information
    -d|--debug <n> set debug level (0-3)
    -f|--force force overwriting of existing file
    -r|--relocate move a processed file into a 'xxx.old' subdirectory
    -i|--info display full info about a file
    --index <f> build/update an index file f for the given directory

If none of -p, -m, -j are specified, maxview opens in desktop mode, displaying
    thumbails of the given directory

But it didn't actually run the program

Then I accidentally copied the whole thing in to a new terminal, and something happenend, tweaked around and found that by copying just the top two lines :
    maxview

I got this:ben@BENCOMPUTERUBUNTU:~$ maxview

(C) 2009 Simon Glass, chch-kiwi@users.sourceforge.net, v0.7

Usage: maxview <opts> <dir/file>

-p|--pdf convert given file to .pdf
    -m|--max convert given file to .max
    -j|--jpeg convert given file to .jpg
    -v|--verbose be verbose
    -h|--help display this usage information
    -d|--debug <n> set debug level (0-3)
    -f|--force force overwriting of existing file
    -r|--relocate move a processed file into a 'xxx.old' subdirectory
    -i|--info display full info about a file
    --index <f> build/update an index file f for the given directory

If none of -p, -m, -j are specified, maxview opens in desktop mode, displaying
    thumbails of the given directory
    ben@BENCOMPUTERUBUNTU:~$ maxview - An electronic filing cabinet: scan, print, stack, arrange
    QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to Pagewidget "", which already has a layout
    QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to Pagewidget "", which already has a layout
    "/"
    Dirview::selectionChanged 1
    "//"
    new Desk "//"
    dir not found
    couldn't write maxdesk.ini
    ben@BENCOMPUTERUBUNTU:~$

And a maxview window opened up, at first I couldn't make head or tail of it, I have attached a screenshot of it.

Then playing around with the window I found I was able to navigate to the folder where my scansoft/paperport documents were, and actually display them as they used to display in paperport! Except that the program didn't display them smoothly, the thumbnails for a file would keep changing from one image to the image of a different file when I did things with them, although hopefully so far the display on "page view" seems to be accurate. I found how to do what I wanted, convert the .max files to .pdf and save them to a different folder, but the only way was to select from desktop view, duplicate as .pdf, select .pdf and print to (location). If I tried anything from page view the programme closed/crashed.

So something is working but it needs cleaning up. I still don't know if the debian file on my desktop has been used.

What should I be typing in to terminal to run properly? I only found this "terminal>copy>paste> terminal" method by accident.
    Do I need the debian file?
    How could I stabilise the thumbnail images on desktop view?
    How can I stop the program from closing from page view?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Hi,

This has actually moved to github here, and renamed to paperman.

https://github.com/sglass68/paperman

The latest version can remember folders that you add, so you don't need any arguments when running it.

Regards,
    Simon