Thread: lubuntu freezes after starting spotify

Beans

lubuntu freezes after starting spotify

Fornewly I installed Lubuntu, and am very happy for it. I can see live tv in chromium with flash
    But after starting spotify up my pc freezes
    I found two links regarding this problem:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2104226 Installed libruby, but this didn't help
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1974984 Couldn't find ~/.cache/Spotify, but deleted spotify on my desktop and installed spotify once more with wine. My pc still freezes so that I can't use spotify

My pc: desktop, fujitsu-siemens, 7 years old, intell pentium 4 cpu, 2,6 ghz, 1,5 gb ram, radeon 9200 sec

any suggestions?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: lubuntu freezes after starting spotify

I don't use Spotify so am only researching on your behalf, but Wikipedia states:
    As of version 0.4.3, it is possible to also play back local MP3 and AAC files, though this does not work in Linux using Wine because Spotify is "...blocking codecs with the identifier "WINE-MPEG3″ until the Wine system works satisfactorily."[79] However, the native Linux version supports local files.
    Further Googling reveals that Linux port is in "preview" stage--don't know whether this means alpha or beta, but instructions for installing are here.

Again, noting that I know nothing specifically about Spotify, WINE is hit or miss with many Windows apps. It's the nature of WINE. WineHQ.AppDB has mixed reports about compatibility depending on Wine version and Spotify version. Results here. Have you tried the native Linux port?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Welcome to Ubuntu Forums!

As a Spotify/Ubuntu user, I have avoided installing the app, as I find that the new web player at http://play.spotify.com is much smoother and requires no installation. This is even though my computer is 8 years old and usually rather slow! Try it out, and if it works OK for you, uninstall the Spotify app. Happy Spotifying!
    Last edited by 25tom; May 9th, 2013 at 07:40 PM.
    I am an Ubuntu Padawan.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by 25tom View Post
    As a Spotify/Ubuntu user, I have avoided installing the app, as I find that the new web player at http://play.spotify.com is much smoother and requires no installation.
    +1

Simple is always best.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    I don't use Spotify so am only researching on your behalf, but Wikipedia states:Further Googling reveals that Linux port is in "preview" stage--don't know whether this means alpha or beta
    It be 'google beta' or Ubuntu LTS quality. Been running the spotify preview and it has improved a lot recently.
    // Blog

Beans

Play.spotify plays smoothly, and is very easy compared to the troubles I had with installing spotify.
    I am only a beginner in Lubuntu -linux, but I get the impression that my pc has problems with the cache. Lubuntu sometime comes with the message: waiting for cache, and than sometimes freezes. Could there be solutions for that: change the amount of memory that gets used to cache?

Beans

I succeeded installing spottify after installing PlayOnLinux. It works fine now.