Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 will not shutdown; it hangs

Threaded View

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 will not shutdown; it hangs

Hi guys,

I'm brand new to the forums! I am running a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and now my computer will not shutdown with regularity. (Sometimes it shuts down, usually it hangs on the Ubuntu screen with one or no dots colored orange.) Restart seems to work well most of the time (as in that only hung once).

I tried going to the safe mode to start and reboot from there; that seems to shutdown just fine.

From the regular (non-safe) version of 12.04, I tried typing in

Code:
    sudo shutdown now
    and could see that shutdown froze on the error

Code:
    modem-manager[3672]: <info> ModemManager (version 0.5.2.0) starting...
    modem-manager[3676]:  Could not get the system bus.  Make sure the message bus daemon is  running!  Message: Did not receive a reply.  Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
    modem-manager[3696]: <info> ModemManager (version 0.5.2.0) starting...
    modem-manager[3696]: Could not get the system bus.  Make sure the message bus daemon is running!  Message: Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory.
    This second error repeated 4 times, then stopped.

I used to have Ubuntu 11.10, and it shut down just fine. I'm running this on a Toshiba Satellite computer. Side note--my wifi is also really buggy, and it causes a hard freeze. This has been a persistent problem even on 11.10, so I'm not sure it's relevant, but I thought I'd mention it.

Is there some sort of package I should install? I've run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    , so my version should be current. Thanks!
    Last edited by mimi314159; May 10th, 2013 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Changed version of Ubuntu to 12.04