Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shopping safely on line

Beans

shopping safely on line

Hi everyone
    I've had my credit card cloned, will I was still a microsoft user, I have to say. The bank said it could have been randomly generated, since I'm always so careful. So me question is, how can I make internet shopping even safer.

When I was on windows I used a program called Rapport from trusteer.com, which is recommended by the banks. Is there a similar program for linux. And although I know I don't need antivirals, firewalls, anti malware, software. are there any you would recommend. At the moment I've got
    clam tk
    firestarter (although I really don't know if I'm using it properly)
    and firewall (which is inactive because I don't know how to use it)

Many thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans

Re: shopping safely on line

Thanks Bucky Ball. Sorry about putting it in the wrong section

cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Disclaimer: I'm no security expert, just another user. It never hurts to be careful but are you certain your card was cloned as a result of your online activities? I ran into this with a debit card but it had NEVER been used online, thank goodness the perps were greedy. I suspect the issuing bank had been compromised due to a phone call a bank officer made while I was in their office to the effect of "I've got another one of those cards". I have the impression that more compromises are a result of either cracking a bank or retailer's system or something like a skimmer or clerk swiping your card twice. A TV news piece about some n'er-do-well in a poorly lit room intercepting online transactions makes for much better drama though, doesn't it?

I did create a separate Ubuntu install just for online financial transactions. My thinking is that only going to financial institutions in that install lessens the risk of downloading some sort of malware. I also don't have flash or java on that install and limit the sites that are allowed to set persistent cookies. I can't see ads but I can suffer that deficiency. I don't know if that'll help or not but figure it can't hurt.
    Last edited by kurt18947; May 9th, 2013 at 04:19 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

S'alright. You might have more luck here is all.

Yea, I would be (and am) more worried about what's happening at the bank's end. They are a much bigger target and more chance of compromise. Pretty hard to get in at your end, with or without firewall (UFW I think is the one you want to look at) especially if you are behind a router, too.

There is a Ubuntu security sticky floating round somewhere, though, if you have a dig on the forums.

* The link to it is on the front page of the Security Discussions sub-forum, second down:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DoINeedAFirewall
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; May 9th, 2013 at 04:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

gufw if you are not behind a router, gufw is the gui for ufw, a router is a firewall since you have to allow the ports on it
    dont use the same password in more than one place, don't use weak passwords, if you use firefox's saved password feature use the master password feature
    be more worries about banks using XP after support is ended, only use cash in person
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Thanks Guys
    Yeah, like you say it probably was the bank or retailer. The fraud officer, said it was probably a randomly generated number, because they tried and failed to purchase lots of things, and were successful once. I've also hear a lot about the security of linux distros, but being a newbie I just wanted to make sure I was doing everything I could. I did know about the jave thing but didn't know about flash. So that's something to think about. And I'll definitely have a look for the UFW thing, but I'm used to windows firewalls which created rule based on your usage so I'm not sure if I'll know how to make a rule, but will look into it

So maybe I'll get rid of window all together and dual boot with two distros. A user freindly one for everyday use and an uber secure one. Any suggestions about uber secure distros

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

personally i use xubuntu, nice n stable, fast, not too bla in the effects, user frendly
    if you stay on the bleeding edge it is unlikely you will be targeted by anything, it is not worth the effort to make something to infiltrate something that will probably get a update soon that could break you hack before you can release it
    if you like that approach you can use the dev version of Ubuntu or a variant, dev versions can be prone to breaking as they are intended for testers
    here is the dev version for xubuntu
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/daily-live/current/

but if you want to go to extremes, here
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/linux-d...re-distros-si/
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

thanks pqwoerituytrueiwoq
    it's the gufw firewall I've got inactive at the moment because I don't understand how to create a rule. So I'm using firestarter because it's got a wizard, which make it easier for me. I always thought of myself as being reasonably compliant with computers, until now, lol, but I'll figure it out in the end with lots of help, lol

Thanks

Beans

I dipped my toe in with xubuntu so if it's secure I'll definitely go back to it. Is it a rolling release or do you need to download the latest version and the up date to keep on the bleeding edge. As for dev versions I'm a little to new to linux , but thanks for the tip

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast