Thread: Newbie buying new laptop

Beans

Question Newbie buying new laptop

Hi i am buying a HP Pavilion G6-2313AX Laptop (APU Quad Core A10/ 6GB/ 1TB/ DOS/ 2.5GB Graph) laptop... entire config on
    http://www.flipkart.com/hp-pavilion-g6-2313ax-laptop-apu-quad-core-a10-6gb-1tb-dos-2-5gb-graph/p/itmdh954sn9dchzf?pid=COMDH93QMXNH7U2W&ref=3218a068-2f21-4619-880b-776251586d7a

Planning to install 12.04 on it, I wanted to know if I could run into any trouble installing the drivers on required to run it (esp the the graphics card(512 MB AMD Radeon HD 7660G (Integrated) and 2 GB ATI Mobility Radeon 7670M HD Graphics (Dedicated)...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Newbie buying new laptop

Sounds good to me. However, you would want to read: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...adeon+HD+7660G

You should also check: http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

will do thanks a lot !

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Even more important: Does it come with Windows 8 pre-installed? if so , it will UEFI and probably have secure boot turned on as well. I cannot stress enough researching this BEFORE you begin. Do a search on the forum for user oldfred - they are an expert in this and you should read the posts they have made regarding UEFI and Linux. Be *SURE* to follow the links they post, as they contain some very important information. Look closely for anything pertaining to HP, and also search the net for your model and installing Linux. You can save yourself a LOT of trouble and hassle by doing this first - I've been there!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    Even more important: Does it come with Windows 8 pre-installed?
    The link OP posted of the online shop from where he plans to buy says that the Laptop does not have pre-installed OS... it just has DOS.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I wanted to put it out there because with the title of the thread there are quite likely others in the same position following or who will see this later. The UEFI information is very important to get out there, especially for the new user, in order to avoid a very negative experience.

Beans

Or better yet, find a company that sells computers with linux preinstalled. Then you will have no worries.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Mills View Post
    Or better yet, find a company that sells computers with linux preinstalled. Then you will have no worries.
    Naaa, all laptops with pre installed linux i could buy here have a max of 500gb hard disk space and are equally expensive...and I've never had a amd laptop, a desktop yes but never a laptop, somehow for no reason at all I prefer them over the intel ones. I think it would be better to install it on me own and figure out how to fix the bugs (that way it should help me to be able to keep up with the software updates(newer versions)?)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Here is a good website where someone took the time to show a lot of computers with Linux already installed-

http://lxer.com/module/forums/t/23168/

HTH
    Check yourself before you wreck yourself-

-:- Slackware & Voyager Xubuntu 16.04 -:-