Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of case do I buy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What type of case do I buy?

I'm looking to upgrade a computer, but there's no room in this tiny case.
    My problem, I don't know what kind of case to buy for this mother board.
    Is it an ATX, MiniATX, MicroATX, I have no idea what will/won't fit it lol.

I've tried google searches, but can't find anything on it. I really love the
    way everything runs on this little setup. It's dual booted with Lucid Lynx
    64-bit and Win-7 Ultimate 64-bit (so I can run and play SimCity 2013).

If it helps, this is what I can tell you about it:

Gateway SX2841-09e
    Intel Prntium processor G6951
    Intel GMA HD graphics
    6-GB of DDR3 RAM

The integrated video card and the power supply is what I'm looking to
    upgrade (because the on board graphics SUCK, really bad) and I've had
    to dull it down to Lego buildings. I want to see grass blowing in the wind!

Also, if I want to upgrade the video card, I'm going to have to buy a
    bigger power supply. The one that's in it right now is only 220-watts.
    Yeah, everything is decent, but the graphics and PSU are pathetic!!!

What should I look for when buying a case for this mother board...
    ATX / Mini ATX / Micro ATX / I don't know
    Last edited by S2UIRR3L; May 10th, 2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Marked as SOLVED
    I actually DO have a real life....
    I just forgot the password to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: What type of case do I buy?

Hi,

This would be better suited in the appropriate place on one of the sub-forums. This sub-forum is for Ubuntu support. But anyway, could you look at your motherboard and tell us the name on it? I can't find any details on "Gateway SX2841-09e" other than a full desktop that lacks details on the board. If I had it, I could look for cases you could use.

If it is tiny, then it most likely a mini or micro ATX case.

EDIT

Removed links to guessed computer.
    Last edited by Lightning Dragon; May 9th, 2013 at 04:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

can i see some pictures of the inside?
    i could select parts if you want a new system, but your current hardware is not that old so it seems like a waste to replace everything
    looks like a slim micro atx case to me
    this will get the motherboard model number if we are lucky
    sudo hwinfo --bios | grep -i product
    edit: iirc you are located in Japan right? i don't know what kind of power plugs are used over there, so i will just use what we use here in the US
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151117 - psu (remember too many watts means poor efficiency, not all brands are equal, may are outright liar)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130792 - gpu (the nvidia gt/gtx 600 series chips are pretty power efficient)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147123 - case (jsut a cheapy nothing special case, will be hard to isntall hdd with the CPU already on the motherboard)

BTW your graphics are not on-board they are on-cpu and are pretty nice on linux, i can play supertuxkart on max with it at 60fps, just cant use pixel shadders
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; May 9th, 2013 at 12:45 AM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to Hardware forums
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well... I can't seem to find any photos of it with the panel off, but here's a few really clear photos of what it's in right now.
    Just to make my self clear... I'm not looking to replace the mother board... I'm looking to put it into another case with room.
    I need more room to install a larger power supply and get a full sized video card in there... Oh, and yeah... I'm in the States.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what type of mother board this is, just by looking at the rear input/output configuration?

sx2841-09e front.jpg(click image to enlarge) This is the front of the computer.
    sx2841-09e rear.jpg(click image to enlarge) This is the rear of the computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@sandyd - It's been a while since I've started a thread and the forums have changed a bit. I'm sorry for posting in the wrong area.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi,

I know you were only looking for a case, I was just hoping you could maybe see the motherboard's name and model. Please give me the full output of this command;

Code:
    sudo dmidecode -t 2
    That will ouput info on your mobo. And if that doesn't work, please install hardinfo from either the terminal or Software Center, and then try to find your motherboard name and model under "DMI".

But I have a strong feeling it is micro ATX or mini ATX (which there are cases/towers that support both), so now it depends on what features you want your case to have. Do you want it modular? Built for awesome airflow? USB3.0 on front panel? Things like that should be considered firstly after knowing what type of case you want.
    Last edited by Lightning Dragon; May 9th, 2013 at 04:48 AM.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Judging by the size - see the front view where an optical drive is half the case width and a good 2/3's or more of the height. I would think microatx at best - perhaps even itx.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The form factor pertains to the size of the MotherBoard. You should tell us what Mobo you have.
    I would always go with ATX form factor for the cabinet. It can be used with all other form factors (miniATX and microATX) and will be more room inside for good ventilation.

Your 220w powersupply is too little in my opinion. You MUST have 500w minimum. Intel HD graphics are good for average multimedia machines. Perhaps underpowered for Gaming purpose.

If I were you I would only change the power-supply for now. Or Rebuild a new Machine with more powerful Graphics and a Mobo to support it with 16Gigs of RAM from the bottom up.

My two cents...
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Okay - Here's the deal... A friend of mine just told me that it's a MiniATX.
    I have a brand new 750-watt PSU from a different project that never happened.
    I'm going to newegg and getting my self a 2-gig nVidia PCIe 2.0 x16 card and
    that takes care of the hard ware issues... I'm also buying a great little case for
    only $40 that is compatible with both MicroATX and MiniATX mother boards.
    It has enough room for a second hard drive and great air flow, not to mention
    the bonus blue LED lights. If they're too bright, I'll just buy a few black fans lol.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast