Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: measuring operating CPU frequency like CPUz

Beans

measuring operating CPU frequency like CPUz

On Windows there is a program called CPUz which reports the operating frequency. On Linux I have only found one program which does this: powertop. All the other programs I have tried (top, /proc/cpuinfo) report the base frequency before turbo-boost.

Do you have any other suggestions. One with a GUI like CPUz would be nice. Powertop is not so convenient.

Beans

Re: measuring operating CPU frequency like CPUz

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Beans

I tried gsysinfo. It does not show the operating frequency, only the base frequency
    cuda-z is for the GPU
    openhardwaremonitor requires mono, i doubt it shows the operating frequency
    I have not got the other options working.
    frequency scaling indicator does not show the operating frequency either.

For example, my CPU is a i5-3317U @1.7 GHZ. However, the 1.7 GHz revers to the non turbo-boosted freqeucny. When I run my CPU under load on only one core turbo boost clocks up to 2.6 GHz. On both cores they both go to 2.4GHz. The only application on Linux that I have found that shows this correctly is powertop.

Beans

If you run conky and have the parameter showing cpu frequency you will see it change under load.

Beans

I can show the frequency changing under load simply

watch grep \"cpu MHz\" /proc/cpuinfo

The problem is that most programs don't show the real frequency under load. It's not so easy. For one the program needs
    root access since it has to use model specific registers to get there operating frequency. That's one reason powertop requires root access.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by raxman View Post
    On Windows there is a program called CPUz which reports the operating frequency. On Linux I have only found one program which does this: powertop. All the other programs I have tried (top, /proc/cpuinfo) report the base frequency before turbo-boost.

Do you have any other suggestions. One with a GUI like CPUz would be nice. Powertop is not so convenient.
    I think what you're looking for is CPU-G (it's in the repositories) . It's a GUI application that displays useful information about your hardware and can collect information about your computer's CPU, RAM, Motherboard, and other general information about your system kernel, architecture, Linux distribution and more.

Beans

I already tried CPU-G. When I my CPU under load it shows 1.7 GHz not 2.4 GHz. It does not show the operating frequency. Not only that but it does not show the frequency changing. It appears to read the frequency only on startup.

What are all the overclockers using on Linux? Windows?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by raxman View Post
    I already tried CPU-G. When I my CPU under load it shows 1.7 GHz not 2.4 GHz. It does not show the operating frequency. Not only that but it does not show the frequency changing. It appears to read the frequency only on startup.

What are all the overclockers using on Linux? Windows?
    With new systems, I just haven't felt the need to overclock.

But, as raxman said, using "watch grep \"cpu MHz\" /proc/cpuinfo" is an easy way to watch the cpu.

I have felt more inclined to use gkrellm to monitor tempretures and fans.

Beans

Whether you overclock manual or not does not change the fact that a modern Intel CPU uses turbo-boost which is a type of dynamic overclocking. The operating CPU frequency of a modern Intel CPU is reported wrong by every application I have used except powertop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast