Thread: what audio codec supports multiple audio channels.

Beans

what audio codec supports multiple audio channels.

I'm using Openshot, to create a new video file, of a movie, that incorporates multiple fan audio's.
    Depending on what audio codec I use, either all 4 audio channels get compressed into 1.
    Or only 1 get's used.
    Just want to right click on the video, and switch between the 5 different audio tracks.
    With one of course being the original audio track that came with the video.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: what audio codec supports multiple audio channels.

What container are you writing the file to? Matroska (.mkv) supports multiple audio tracks by default. I've not used Openshot so I can't help with that, but if you can choose the output container, try using Matroska.

The codec itself really shouldn't matter as long as the container supports multiple tracks.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: what audio codec supports multiple audio channels.

'Audio channel' normally refers to mono (1 channel) vs. stereo (2 channels) vs. surround-sound (6 or more channels), btw.

All modern container formats should support multiple audio tracks. I think even AVI does (don't use AVI, though; use Matroska or MP4). Maybe Openshot can't support this kind of output. Are you doing any actual editing, or just trying to stick on these extra audio tracks?
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory solution to your problem.