Hello. Sorry if this is not the right place to post my request. Feel free to relocate it if necessary. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I have been using Ubuntu for about 4 years, almost exclusively. I very rarely select Windows from my dual-boot configuration. I am seeking advice on the choice of a portable device that could be used with Linux.

Before I switched from Windows to Ubuntu, I used to use a Dell PDA that ran Windows Mobile. Applications were synchronised automatically via a docking station. I installed TomTom GPS on the PDA, so when I was away home I only needed to carry two devices, the PDA and my mobile phone. I gave up using the PDA when I switched to using Ubuntu and bought a dedicated GPS device (Garmin).

So now when I'm away from home I carry my GPS device and mobile phone, but miss the use of a PDA. I no longer have the ability to access diary, agenda, lists, etc. Ideally what I would like is a PDA-like device, that could be used to run diary, agenda, etc type apps and which could be synchronised with the apps that I use with Ubunutu on my laptop at home.

So, what I would like to know is whether there is a small lightweight device that I could carry when away from home, which could be synchronised with my laptop running Ubuntu when I return home. My email client is Thunderbird (with address book, calendar and tasks list). My current mobile phone is a Nokia N8, which is fine as a phone, received emails and has a superb camera, but I find the keyboard and text too small when using the calendar, address book and other apps. Of course, it cannot be synchronised with Ubuntu. I wouldn't be averse to changing it so long as the portable device that I am seeking provided all this functionality and could be synchronised with a Linus OS such as Ubuntu, or Mint.

Thanks in advance for any advice that you can offer me.