Thread: software to organise personal data.

Beans

software to organise personal data.

Hello,

it might be a strange question.

But i'm looking for a software that can organise my personal data.
    You can always same something in the correct folder.

but if you look at apple, (i'm sorry to bring this up ) all data are saved at a specific place
    and when you backup the system; it backups the data.

the problem is that i have a lot of partitions and a lot of directories, so when i need to save something
    it takes like a minute to get to the right place... the result is that i save it all in the same place
    and then take a few hours every month to put things in the right folder...

if somebody can let me know how they do it, that would be great.

thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: software to organise personal data.

Most applications, but not all, unfortunately, save to the folder that you saved to the previous time, assuming that the partitions holding the folders are all mounted and available, so by saving and then moving files to where you really want them to be, you are not helping your situation.

Make the effort when you next save something to put it in the folder you want; make sure all your partitions are mounted and available, and relatively quickly everything should resolve itself.
    Last edited by ajgreeny; May 5th, 2013 at 11:51 AM.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

PDFs, images, audio and video files, snapshots of web pages

http://www.zotero.org/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    most applications, but not all, unfortunately, save to the folder that you saved to the previous time, assuming that the partitions holding the folders are all mounted and available, so by saving and then moving files to where you really want them to be, you are not helping your situation.

thank you, i didn't know this.

make the effort when you next save something to put it in the folder you want; make sure all your partitions are mounted and available, and relatively quickly everything should resolve itself.

i have the bad habit of just downloading everything to the desktop, and then filing it. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try this from now on.
    )
    Last edited by VirginiaDrifter; May 5th, 2013 at 11:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi,

Maybe something like Cruftbuster is what you are looking for.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/66745/how-t...h-cruftbuster/

You can make rules based on file types or extensions and move to another folder them automatically.

Beans
    Hidden!

thank you, i didn't know this.
    I have the bad habit of just downloading everything to the desktop, and then filing it. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try this from now on.
    My suggestion will not work if you are talking about file downloads from the internet, I'm afraid.

I assumed from your question that you were talking of files from, for example, Libreoffice that you needed to save.

Sorry for the confusion!
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info

Beans

thanks for the replies, i'm checking out Cruftbuster thanks guys yes i'm downloading all kinds of internet, most off all pdfs from all kind, and most of the time, a few times the same...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Stick to the "Rule of 12" and that may restore your sanity. Place no more than 12 folders under your home directory and no more than 12 in any subsequent folder. No more than 12 files in any folder.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.