Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem starting VirtualBox

Beans

Re: Problem starting VirtualBox

Quote Originally Posted by MoebusNet View Post
    Have you tried WINE in 13.04 to program your remote? Then you wouldn't need the Win VM

OK now I have Wine and I installed Q4wine to open the program exe files easily. I got my Harmony Remote control program to install, but it does not seem that I have USB support. I am able to set the desired parameters for the remote but when I apply the changes it is stuck trying to communicate with the remote as if it is waiting for me to plug it in. What am I missing to get USB support in Wine?
    Last edited by Deucalion29710; May 12th, 2013 at 04:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I haven't been using WINE, just VBox. I thought WINE would have USB support out-of-the-box by now; apparently not. Here is a way WINE is working on USB support:

http://wiki.winehq.org/USB
    Last edited by MoebusNet; May 13th, 2013 at 01:22 PM. Reason: I was thinking VBox not WINE
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans

Either one would be great if I could get my smart remote programmed properly. I just spent thousands on a new home theater and can't program the remote for it because this "upgrade" broke my VirtualBox. Now I'm trying to do this by using Wine and it has no USB support seemingly. Oracle refuses to support their own product and the problem seems to be a known issue to many. The USB problem with Wine seems to be known to many also but I can't seem to find a positive resolution. I know that what I am seeking can be done in Ubuntu as I did it in version 12.10 Gnome Remix using VirtualBox. I would really hate to ask a friend to borrow their Windows 7 machine especially being that I have sang many praises for Linux. Let's try this...could anybody give me an official step by step on how to completely purge VirtualBox and all of it's components and install fresh from repository? Or could somebody advise me of how to get USB support in Wine?
    Last edited by Deucalion29710; May 13th, 2013 at 01:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro

This will work, but you won't like it. Dual-boot 12.10 for your WinVM just like your old setup, boot 13.04 the rest of the time. This should get you by until VBox catches up with Ubuntu.
    Last edited by MoebusNet; May 13th, 2013 at 01:57 PM.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans

Well it never worked on Ubuntu. That's why I needed a Win7 virtual machine to begin with. If only it were that easy.

Beans

Wine is what's intriguing to me though. I guess my question has now changed to "How do I get USB support in Wine?" This way at least I can get rid of Virtual Box.

Beans

OK new question, and back to VBox. I got it installed again with a Working Win7. Installed Guest Additions. I can't see any of my USB devices in the settings. I forget how I fixed that before. USB is enabled but nothing is showing although I have 7 or 8 USB devices attacked to my desktop. I also cannot remember how I accessed a file in my Ubuntu downloads folder using my Windows 7 VirtualBox.

Beans

By the way, the fix for VirtualBox was an easy one:

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.8.0-19-generic

Beans

OK problem solved. I am a ditz sometimes. I forgot about the functions that appear in the non-scale mode to turn on USB devices. Thanks to all who helped. I still <3 my Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Doh! Should have suggested installing header first; got sidetracked by newer kernel issue. Glad you got it working!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12