Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Xubuntu 13.04 review - Et tu, Brute?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Xubuntu 13.04 review - Et tu, Brute?

xubuntu 13.04 is awesome. No major noticeable improvements, but this release does fix many very annoying bugs that I had with 12.10:

xfce4-power-manager screen dimming wasn't working
    xfce4-appfinder randomly crashed
    weather applet didn't work
    lots of really weird thunar issues: on a cold boot thunar took forever to launch. Sometimes when I logged in trash and network icons would be totally gone from thunar sidebar until I logged out and back in.

all these seem to be fixed in 13.04, its very bug free and stable. I also love the latest version of thunar, the UI improvements and tab support are very welcome.

BTW the kernel panic he got is an "upstream" ubuntu bug that its possible to run into in any 13.04 derivative that uses the official kernel. I really wish canonical didn't release 13.04 with this b0rked kernel, it was pretty sloppy. The update that caused this huge issue was released only days before 13.04 was released too. Looks like the kernel update to fix it has finally reached raring proposed at least: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1169984
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    xubuntu 13.04 is awesome.
    I agree. I'm gonna stick with it for a while. Until I get bored and try KDE one more time .....lol. Then I'll probably try gnome shell, unity,..... and then come full circle back to xfce.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    ...hrm... whose job is it to test a community-developed distro against your hardware? Wait, wait... it's coming to me... don't tell me...
    The kernel is not a community-developed component.
    Dedoimedo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

A kernel is not a distro.

Beans
    Hidden!

The question was about testing a community developed distro against my hardware ...
    It is the job of people developing the hardware interfaces - kernel/drivers/etc to do that job.
    Dedoimedo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

ok asigning blame on testing aside - the issue was found. is it going to be solved within a short time? is the image going to be patched?

i doubt it.

to bad as it seems the distro is solid (again) otherwise. just as 12.04 was/is. i still run it in vbox on windows maschine..
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dedoimedo View Post
    The kernel is not a community-developed component.
    Dedoimedo
    From the review, under a section titled "Message to Ubuntu developers" (emphasis mine):

I have reached the point where I dread messing up with the system, because it might irrecoverably crash, because you do not bother to do proper QA and test your [expletive] on more than one laptop. And for this, I hate you and despise you, because you do not give me the peace of mind that I can ever leave Windows behind.
    The question was about testing a community developed distro against my hardware ...
    It is the job of people developing the hardware interfaces - kernel/drivers/etc to do that job.
    Dedoimedo
    Then you should be blaming Nvidia, who
    - Developed the hardware that you're using
    - Developed the proprietary driver for the hardware you're using
    - Are the only ones involved to whom you've given any money

Sorry, but I get a bit torqued off when people start trashing free software devs for not making something work right on some random windows-branded computer. Show some respect and appreciation to people who are giving this stuff to you, THEY DON'T OWE YOU ANYTHING.
    Last edited by lykwydchykyn; May 8th, 2013 at 02:43 PM.

Beans

I actually run kubuntu 13.04 on this netbook but I used to run xubuntu.

The comment about nvidia and other drivers is right on. I have learned not to use "additional drivers" unless I have a damn good reason to do so.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    From the review, under a section titled "Message to Ubuntu developers" (emphasis mine):

Then you should be blaming Nvidia, who
    - Developed the hardware that you're using
    - Developed the proprietary driver for the hardware you're using
    - Are the only ones involved to whom you've given any money

Sorry, but I get a bit torqued off when people start trashing free software devs for not making something work right on some random windows-branded computer. Show some respect and appreciation to people who are giving this stuff to you, THEY DON'T OWE YOU ANYTHING.
    Nvidia is not at fault, it never is.
    I can thrash unprofessional work, no matter under what auspice it is done.
    Respect and appreciation, when I see high-quality products.
    They owe me stability - if a company/body releases a product, it needs to meet a certain standard.
    Dedoimedo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dedoimedo View Post
    Nvidia is not at fault, it never is.
    I can thrash unprofessional work, no matter under what auspice it is done.
    Respect and appreciation, when I see high-quality products.
    They owe me stability - if a company/body releases a product, it needs to meet a certain standard.
    Dedoimedo
    Under what pretense are you owed anything?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast