Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adobe kills and moves CS and Photoshop to the cloud, Will we see it for linux?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Adobe kills and moves CS and Photoshop to the cloud, Will we see it for linux?

Quote Originally Posted by evilsoup View Post
    As far as I can tell, they're just switching to digital distribution (and using the 'cloud' buzzword, and getting more control over what their customers can do), so this won't affect porting it to Linux.
    I've used the Gimp for nine years so I have no interest in Photoshop. Thar being said,I really do not 100 percent trust cloud services anyway.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Adobe kills and moves CS and Photoshop to the cloud, Will we see it for linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    I've used the Gimp for nine years so I have no interest in Photoshop. Thar being said,I really do not 100 percent trust cloud services anyway.
    i've read quite a few articles and FAQ cause i was interested in what they are actually doing. reporting on this. was strange in some articles.

Cloud is there mostly only to strengthen DRM. a buzzword. obviously this has nothing to do with cloud computing. their storage is limited to certain files only anyway.

GIMP is good enough for me as well.

Then again i imagine for some professional Photoshop is a better choice. many things in GIMP are quirky and akward. They are just done faster and easier in photoshop. while some advanced PS features are missing alltogether. but again GIMP is good enough for me. i use it on windows maschines as well. i can buy two computers for the price of photoshop.
    let's not go into tabets. their price doesn't make sense to me. probably cause i do not need it.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Adobe kills and moves CS and Photoshop to the cloud, Will we see it for linux?

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    ... i imagine for some professional Photoshop is a better choice

Gimp has improved a great deal over the years, but Photoshop is such an accepted standard in the photo/prepress/design business that I don't believe we will ever see widespread adoption of Gimp in that community.

The cost of Photoshop is less of a concern for businesses and actual pros than it might seem. For people who sink tens of thousand of dollars, and more, in hardware, office space, training, and staff, Photoshop is just another business cost.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

that's right. if you have a lot of profit (high margins, usually services with low material costs e.g. ad agency...) additional cost will help you get tax deductions (at least here).

anyway i am not really a graphics designer. in fact most things turn messy when i try to draw them. however i read compliants from pros abotu gimp. such as for example certain functions (certian resize) that are done by drag&drop in PS need a couple of menu clicks in gimp and possible manual input. i believe there are possible more of such functions that are included in GIMP but done in inneficient way. then you have things such as autofil and such that i believe are nto present in GIMP. but for normal occasioanl users GIMP is more than just fine. which is why we have it on all computers. for editing an image or remove background and such GIMP is good enough.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Gimp has improved a great deal over the years, but Photoshop is such an accepted standard in the photo/prepress/design business that I don't believe we will ever see widespread adoption of Gimp in that community.

The cost of Photoshop is less of a concern for businesses and actual pros than it might seem. For people who sink tens of thousand of dollars, and more, in hardware, office space, training, and staff, Photoshop is just another business cost.
    True. But some people think they have to have Photoshop just to create their memes. I'll bet Photoshop is overkill for a lot of the people using it.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    True. But some people think they have to have Photoshop just to create their memes. I'll bet Photoshop is overkill for a lot of the people using it.

Memes? Can you sell a meme?

Given the apparent rate of Photoshop thievery, I'm sure it is overkill for many people who have it installed. Most of them probably think Photoshop is just a photo editor.

For professional use -- meaning the tool that enhances profits takes precedence over personal preference -- Photoshop wins. If clients and customers are going to send you PSD files, you'd better have Photoshop handy and know how to use it.

Gimp is fine. But there is an entire universe of Photoshop tools, plugins, and expectations out there. Anyone interested in making money would be foolish to ignore that.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Memes? Can you sell a meme?

Given the apparent rate of Photoshop thievery, I'm sure it is overkill for many people who have it installed. Most of them probably think Photoshop is just a photo editor.

For professional use -- meaning the tool that enhances profits takes precedence over personal preference -- Photoshop wins. If clients and customers are going to send you PSD files, you'd better have Photoshop handy and know how to use it.

Gimp is fine. But there is an entire universe of Photoshop tools, plugins, and expectations out there. Anyone interested in making money would be foolish to ignore that.
    I agree. For a professional it's a necessity. I was just talking about all of the non-professionals who don't really need it, but they think they need it.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I agree. For a professional it's a necessity. I was just talking about all of the non-professionals who don't really need it, but they think they need it.
    I've never owned any version of Photo Shop, however I am a long time (paid) Photo Shop Elements user. Many times I refer to my digital editing and the tool used as Photo Shop because it's an accepted and understood term.

I only learned about GIMP when I ventured into the Linux world. I tried to use GIMP and early on decided that I wasn't ready to adopt it due to, IMHO, a very steep learning curve since I've been using Elements since version 5 and now on 11. Since I already own Windows 7 and PSE 11 I'll keep a dual boot scenario until such time as I'm fully comfortable with Linux and willing to spend the time adopting GIMP.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Aside from Gimp, Krita should also do it for most users... Still on it's start but getting better and better each release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pfeiffep View Post
    ... I am a long time (paid) Photo Shop Elements user. Many times I refer to my digital editing and the tool used as Photo Shop because it's an accepted and understood term.

I only learned about GIMP when I ventured into the Linux world. I tried to use GIMP and early on decided that I wasn't ready to adopt it due to, IMHO, a very steep learning curve since I've been using Elements since version 5 and now on 11.
    I've used several releases of Elements. It's great for photo-editing tasks. The reason both GIMP and Photoshop are so much larger and complex is that they include much more than photo editing capability. If you only need to process photos, you don't need those capabilities.

Eventually, I moved to Lightroom on OS X, which has all the photo editing function I need plus organizing, managing, and locating images (which is a serious issue once you accumulate more than a handful of images.) One of these days, I may tackle the job of migrating everything to Linux. But, for now, they live on a MacBook.

OS X users ought to look at another very good photo editing tool: Acorn.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12