Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adobe kills and moves CS and Photoshop to the cloud, Will we see it for linux?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Question Adobe kills and moves CS and Photoshop to the cloud, Will we see it for linux?

Last edited by madjr; May 7th, 2013 at 03:36 AM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Adobe kills and moves CS and Photoshop to the cloud, Will we see it for linux?

As far as I can tell, they're just switching to digital distribution (and using the 'cloud' buzzword, and getting more control over what their customers can do), so this won't affect porting it to Linux.
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory solution to your problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Adobe kills and moves CS and Photoshop to the cloud, Will we see it for linux?

Quote Originally Posted by evilsoup View Post
    As far as I can tell, they're just switching to digital distribution (and using the 'cloud' buzzword, and getting more control over what their customers can do), so this won't affect porting it to Linux.
    I've used the Gimp for nine years so I have no interest in Photoshop. Thar being said,I really do not 100 percent trust cloud services anyway.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Adobe kills and moves CS and Photoshop to the cloud, Will we see it for linux?

Quote Originally Posted by Linuxratty View Post
    I've used the Gimp for nine years so I have no interest in Photoshop. Thar being said,I really do not 100 percent trust cloud services anyway.
    i've read quite a few articles and FAQ cause i was interested in what they are actually doing. reporting on this. was strange in some articles.

Cloud is there mostly only to strengthen DRM. a buzzword. obviously this has nothing to do with cloud computing. their storage is limited to certain files only anyway.

GIMP is good enough for me as well.

Then again i imagine for some professional Photoshop is a better choice. many things in GIMP are quirky and akward. They are just done faster and easier in photoshop. while some advanced PS features are missing alltogether. but again GIMP is good enough for me. i use it on windows maschines as well. i can buy two computers for the price of photoshop.
    let's not go into tabets. their price doesn't make sense to me. probably cause i do not need it.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup (suitable for older PCs): Redobackup Less friendly disk backup (works on new PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    ... i imagine for some professional Photoshop is a better choice

Gimp has improved a great deal over the years, but Photoshop is such an accepted standard in the photo/prepress/design business that I don't believe we will ever see widespread adoption of Gimp in that community.

The cost of Photoshop is less of a concern for businesses and actual pros than it might seem. For people who sink tens of thousand of dollars, and more, in hardware, office space, training, and staff, Photoshop is just another business cost.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Gimp has improved a great deal over the years, but Photoshop is such an accepted standard in the photo/prepress/design business that I don't believe we will ever see widespread adoption of Gimp in that community.

The cost of Photoshop is less of a concern for businesses and actual pros than it might seem. For people who sink tens of thousand of dollars, and more, in hardware, office space, training, and staff, Photoshop is just another business cost.
    True. But some people think they have to have Photoshop just to create their memes. I'll bet Photoshop is overkill for a lot of the people using it.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Well, the comments to the article don't make it sound too promising.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Adobe products ported to Linux *and* only available for annual or monthly subscription fees?

Never.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I guess the rampant piracy of Photoshop has started to catch up with Adobe.

At one time, I'm pretty sure Adobe ignored piracy of PS for good business reasons. Its principal market for these products is professional designers and studios who play full price. Piracy enabled prospective young graphics designers to become adept at using Adobe products. When they later became employed, they expected to find licensed copies of these products on their desktops. In part, the continuity of Photoshop's dominance came from its widespread piracy. Maybe that model is not doing so well these days?
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; May 7th, 2013 at 06:48 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

At one time, I'm pretty sure Adobe ignored piracy of PS for good business reasons. Its principal market for these products is professional designers and studios who play full price. Piracy enabled prospective young graphics designers to become adept at using Adobe products. When they later became employed, they expected to find licensed copies of these products on their desktops. In part, the continuity of Photoshop's dominance came from its widespread piracy. Maybe that model is not doing so well these days?
    Well people will still be pirating the old versions because of brand recognition if nothing else, and since I assume CS7 will be similar to the older versions apart from the platform and mode of paying that would still have the effect of locking them to PS. Reading the comments a few angry long time PS users said they were moving to GIMP. This would be good news if more follow suit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast