Thread: Help installing gimp web plugin

Beans

Help installing gimp web plugin

I am absolutely new to Linux, I have Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit, Intel Duo core cpu 2.4 GHz I downloaded and installed LAMP, Gimp and Blender although I have not touched Blender. I am trying to use Gimp to save images for the web. Adobe would allow a person to save the image's size but make the image smaller in relation to its MB or KB size. I found a "Save for Web plugin for Gimp and downloaded the 'tar' problem is I don't have a clue what to do with this. I searched on this forum and found ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1874280 I tried to use these instructions.

1. Unzip the .tar.gz in ~/.gimp-2.6/plug-ins/
    2. $ sudo apt-get install libgimp2.0-dev (if not installed packs for compile)
    3. $ cd ~/.gimp-2.7/plug-ins/gimp-save-for-web-0.29.3/
    4. $ ./configure
    5 $ make
    6. $ sudo make install
    7. Restart Gimp
    8. A new option is created at File>Save for web

No chance but the real problem is I don't even know what is going wrong all I recieve for a replay is
    wyght@ubuntu:~$ $ sudo apt-get install libgimp2.0-dev
    $: command not found

What is happening and how to I correct the problem. I 'think' part of the problem is I don't have the 'save to web.tar' file saved in the correct spot. It's on my desktop but I have not got a clue how to move it to where it should be nor do I know where it should be but I am betting in the gimp folder. But where is the gimp folder and how do I find it.

This is like being back in first grade and not having a clue LOL Sorry but I really don't have a clue. Can anyone help me figure this out? Thanks
    Last edited by Wyght; May 7th, 2013 at 03:48 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Totally Lost

Quote Originally Posted by Wyght View Post
    $ sudo apt-get install libgimp2.0-dev
    Tutorials and examples usually represent '$' as the command line prompt. As in:
    Code:
    wyght@ubuntu:~$
                  ^
                  |
    The actual command to enter in the command line is:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libgimp2.0-dev
    Hope it helps. Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.
    Last edited by papibe; May 6th, 2013 at 10:34 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Help installing gimp web plugin

Also it should be noted that you do not need that plugin to compress the images in Gimp. Just keep in mind that to save in any other file format than Gimp's own .xcf, you need to select File->Export rather than File->Save. Just pick a format suitable for your images & web use (.jpg or .png) and you will get the option to select compression quality.

The plugin you are trying to install can of course be useful if you need to see the effects the quality setting has on your image before saving it, or if you are trying to optimize to very specific file size.

Beans

Grief it is always a supid error with a simple fix thx it worked

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Also it should be noted that you do not need that plugin to compress the images in Gimp. Just keep in mind that to save in any other file format than Gimp's own .xcf, you need to select File->Export rather than File->Save. Just pick a format suitable for your images & web use (.jpg or .png) and you will get the option to select compression quality.

The plugin you are trying to install can of course be useful if you need to see the effects the quality setting has on your image before saving it, or if you are trying to optimize to very specific file size.
    This shows how absolutely new I am, I did not even know gimp had its own file extention. xcf works on the web?

Beans

Re: Totally Lost

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Tutorials and examples usually represent '$' as the command line prompt. As in:
    Code:
    wyght@ubuntu:~$
                  ^
                  |
    The actual command to enter in the command line is:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libgimp2.0-dev
    Hope it helps. Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.
    Feeling a bit like a fool, I have searched and yet I cannot find how to mark this thread as solved. Thanks for the help, could you please tell me how to mark this as solved

Beans
    Distro

Glad you sorted it out.

Here's how to mark the thread as solved.

Regards.

Beans

With help all things can be solved thanks for your help both times