Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 8: Microsoft's New Coke moment

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Windows 8: Microsoft's New Coke moment

What bothers me most is that pie chart. So there really are that few Linux users!?
    Everyone knows that New Coke was a total disaster for Coca-Cola. Except, of course, that isn't actually what happened. Yes, New Coke, like Windows 8 for Microsoft, was a total market failure, but that wasn't the end of the Coca-Cola story, and Windows 8 may not be the end of Microsoft's Windows tale.
    netapps-os-May 2013 540x263
    http://www.zdnet.com/windows-8-micro...nt-7000014779/
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans

Re: Windows 8: Microsoft's New Coke moment

Beans

Nonsense. YOu have to understand that there are many parties that are biased in favor of presenting their own version of market shares, present biased reports as a consequence of said baised views on market shares, and are even at times paid to present biased presentations of said market shares. The link on Wikipedia I would surmise is incorrect. It is well known that Wikipedia is unreliable for a source of information. For example, it is common knowledge that university and college students do not present Wikipedia as a source of information. For students, they need to user peer-reviewed sources of information when they are writing a scholarly paper. Wikipedia is not a peer-reviewed source.
    Secondly, Wikipedia is also known to have infighting amongst it's editors. Editorial vandalism is a plague that Wikipedia suffers from. Hence you can understand the unreliability of Wikipedia.
    The other source from zdnet, I would surmise is also unreliable. The editor himself probably uses Windows, prefers to use it, and hence presents a biased view (his own) on the market share of Linux. He probably has never even heard of Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch, and the like. He probably has not even heard of Distrowatch.com.
    I doubt that this is an accurate presentation.
    Windows, for sure owns a large market share. Just about every computer, laptop, and the like has got Windows. So for sure it has a large market share. But I doubt that it has a market share as large as any of these articles make it out to be.
    Speaking for myself only. I got rid of Windows. And damn glad too!

Beans

Win 8 is not good at all, it's maybe fun, fresh but it's complicated to used

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Bean7 View Post
    It's not any harder to use than any previous version of Windows.

If anything, I find it easier with more powerful search and file management.
    That's what she said.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Actually there's no reliable way to measure a desktop OS usage share but ZDNet guys don't know that. ZDNet/PCMag staff is just a bunch of the most incompetent people among those who think they're related to IT in some way. I usually read their articles when I feel the need for a good laugh.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Bean7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AllRadioisDead View Post
    It's not any harder to use than any previous version of Windows.
    Disagree. Everything after XP was downhill.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

well PC desktop market share of windows is big. linux is small. but if you add smartphones, tablets, servers, TV to this then the picture changes for sure.

i read PC market is in steady decline.

so having high a market share in cassete players is not something impressive these days.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    Actually there's no reliable way to measure a desktop OS usage share but ZDNet guys don't know that. ZDNet/PCMag staff is just a bunch of the most incompetent people among those who think they're related to IT in some way. I usually read their articles when I feel the need for a good laugh.
    still they have more influence than you think and many companies, devs and individuals base many times their decisions on articles like that.

Also sometimes they're not that far off from what is called the "market sentiment".
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Buntu Bunny View Post
    Disagree. Everything after XP was downhill.
    not in performance, i assume you mean every version of windows after xp and not every OS release, cause xubuntu 13.04 is pretty nice, so was ubuntu 10.04 (technically is till tomorrow but...)
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast