Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Techradar article "Is the Linux Desktop Dead"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Cool Re: Techradar article "Is the Linux Desktop Dead"

Hola Sam !! you of course, are correct . In 30 years. But: is the Linux desktop bound for extinction ?
    Probably. The real question should be, which will stay around the longest ?
    The other day I saw a "Kindle" (Fire) commercial showing that it was designed for 6 to 10 year olds, hmmm.
    Microsoft is facing extinction, possibly within 6 to 8 years. (less?)
    But, some of our computers are working well, one laptop we have is 8, and great, but only works on Linux. My speedy Zenbook, really, only works well on Ubuntu.
    Yup, IN 30 YEARS, my 64gig SDXC will be the size of a HDD.
    Pay now, or pay later, there's no free lunch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Techradar article "Is the Linux Desktop Dead"

I am typing this on an Acer C7 Chromebook running Chrubuntu 12.04, with a MATE desktop environment. My big, hulking desktop computer runs 13.04 with MATE. I use both of them. My Chromebook runs great, and I'm patting myself on the back for putting a complete OS on my $200 laptop and running almost all the software I run on my desktop. I have zero interest in getting rid of my desktop box.

My Linux evangelization hasn't gone too well; people are afraid of the Big Bad Penguin, or, rather, they think that they'll have to give up some proprietary software package they like. Like M$ Office (why???). I suppose it's the Penguin learning curve...

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't really think it matters whether the Linux desktop is dead, dying, or was ever alive. Linux the kernel, and communities built around open source will probably be alive and well for decades to come, no matter how technology changes. If we all become cyborgs with embedded chips in our bodies, some, many, or all of those chips will probably run some version of Linux. I haven't been running a traditional Linux desktop as my main computer for a while, but I definitely run Linux! I have a couple of servers running Linux. My Android devices use Linux. My Chromebook uses Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    If we all become cyborgs with embedded chips in our bodies, some, many, or all of those chips will probably run some version of Linux.
    That's a pretty deep thought, and quite possibly prophetic.

Beans

I don't think linux is going anywhere on the desktop and by that I mean going away or becoming mainstream. I finally gave in and bought windows 8 for my htpc after a streaming site I use stopped working under ubuntu. I end up having to use windows for to many things. Didn't they do a survey and found that something around 75% of ubuntu users still use windows in some way? The reason for me to have a desktop besides the more comfortable kb/mouse and monitor is so I can accomplish tasks that a tablet or phone can't do. Like a lot of specific applications that no one cares for supporting linux on. I'm glad to see steam on linux but the titles are very limited. If that fails it may push away support even further rather than helping the linux cause. If they can't accomplish bringing more people to the linux desktop for games and such after pouring money and time into it then why bother?

Its also getting to the point where less and less people need a desktop at all anymore. Eventually I might be happy with just a laptop for tasks I can't do on a tablet.

Beans
    Distro

Hola Jedi ! First, and foremost, a laptop really is just a desktop----replacement.
    So, think desktop and laptop as interchangeable. personally the I believe that the end of ¨desktops¨ is coming, but ¨desktop replacements¨ like the ASUS ROG series, with a 19 inch screen will take over, AND-----they run far better on Linux.
    Survey ? 75% of Ubuntu users ¨use Windows¨ , not bloody likely. many Ubuntu people are also techies, and end up fixing Windows constant garbadge. There is nothing that I have been unable to do with Linux,
    nothing, nada, zilch. Yes, I may have been using restricted software. But a lot of people on the Microsoft campus use LINUX, some writer named ¨Mary¨ something, says that they all use Linux.
    Presently (ahora) I´m using my ASUS Zenbook, came with MS Windows what a P.O.S.! Now I´m using uuu-bunn.2 , smooth. rapido, gracias UBUNTU.
    My prediction: MS Windows will slowly fade, note that most servers use Linux. Check NETCRAFT for verification.
    agg
    ¨dual-booties¨ need to get a life.

Beans

I am happy that many of you can do everything you need in linux. Just because most servers use linux doesn't help me find support for mainstream devices that need to be connected to a pc. I have a printer brand that is well known for linux support yet they won't release 64 bit drivers for my model and its quite a bit of work to get it going without them. So many other issues like updating my gps etc. Sure there are work arounds for some things but linux needs solid support from manufacturers. Ubuntu runs great for me and so does windows. Even vista with sp1 worked fine. A lot of the experts have said that if linux was mainstream it would have some of the same issues with malware and such.

I don't think there is many out there that still believe linux will ever be mainstream on the desktop. I think a good start is getting people to use open source software on windows and using something other than internet explorer. I may check back in on ubuntu to see whats going on but my windows machine does everything I need it to do. I'm not trying to insult Ubuntu and it works great but for me it isn't practical and about 98% of other computer users feel the same.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by AllenGG View Post
    ¨dual-booties¨ need to get a life.
    Or maybe they're happy with the life they have and enjoy using both Windows and Linux.

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: Techradar article "Is the Linux Desktop Dead"

Hola Jedi, servers run on Linux because of reliability and security. And yes, dependabiity.
    Actually Jedi, I beleive that you might like Mint more than Ubuntu.
    I´ve gone through a lot of printers in the last 20 years, and have had many driver problems, almost all with MS Windows. (printers are cheap, cartridges are not)
    I did run two repair shops, and learned that Apple users were very happy, and 98% of the Windows problems were user error, according to Microsoft.
    More companies, worldwide are employing Linux on the desktop. BUT !
    The person sitting at that desk thinks that he or she is using Windows.
    At one time there were driver problems with Linux since the printer drivers were using part of the Windows system. That changed around 1995.
    Your (Jedi) problem with 64 bit drivers can be addressed in the Linux Forums.
    TRY, try hard, to find similiar support with Microsoft.

To aysiu, I always enjoy your comments. From my experience there are very few Linux users who dual-boot.
    And why would a MAC user dual boot ?. Great operating system, overpriced software and hardware with limited (niL) support in many places.

I´ve loaded many systems with Windows, always problems.
    On my Zenbook (ahora) it took me longer to get rid of Windows that to load and run Ubuntu 11 something. Now on 12.04. Desktop runs 13 (something)

To aiysiu, about three years ago I stopped fixing MS Windows problems for friends.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by AllenGG View Post
    To aysiu, I always enjoy your comments. From my experience there are very few Linux users who dual-boot.
    I wasn't really commenting before on how many Linux users dual-boot, just that it is perfectly okay for them to do so if that's what they prefer.

Now that you mention it, though, your experience is a bit different from what's reflected in all the polls on the Ubuntu Forums (doesn't mean you're wrong or that the polls are--just maybe they're different demographics of Linux users):
    Linux Users - Are u totally wedded to Linux? or Do u keep Windows as a standby??
    Do you boot with more then one OS?
    Do you dual boot ubuntu with windows?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast