Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Techradar article "Is the Linux Desktop Dead"

Beans

Re: Techradar article "Is the Linux Desktop Dead"

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/7...ther-fun-stats

What I was trying to say earlier is that linux being the most common server doesn't matter when it comes to consumer peripherals that need to be updated or what not because pretty much everything is written for windows. Sometimes there are linux alternatives but I want solid support direct from the manufacturer. We need native versions of things like itunes. Please don't get out the pitchforks because I can't stand it but you have to please the masses and they need their devices to work without much fuss. Also yes there is a help thread for my printer and a few were able to get it going under 64 bit but I think it breaks often.

There are many great help forums for windows related issues as well. As others have said just use whatever works for you. The reasons that I would use linux is because its open source and it feels like the "good guys" are behind linux. Other than that its nice just to mess around with a different os. I will dual boot with it or keep it on a extra pc. I actually prefer to put everything on separate drives and select it from the bios.

Last I heard canoinical was still not making a profit. What chance do they have breaking into the mobile market if even Microsoft is having trouble now that Apple and Google have already established themselves? Most people probably won't ever know what Ubuntu is. I am rooting for the underdog but windows will continue to be my primary os because of mainstream support. I would like to pick up a mac as well just to try different things.
    Last edited by jedispork; July 3rd, 2013 at 02:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jedispork View Post
    <snip>
    I don't think there is many out there that still believe linux will ever be mainstream on the desktop. I think a good start is getting people to use open source software on windows and using something other than internet explorer. I may check back in on ubuntu to see whats going on but my windows machine does everything I need it to do. I'm not trying to insult Ubuntu and it works great but for me it isn't practical and about 98% of other computer users feel the same.
    That's the biggest part, I think. Most consumers don't "use Windows". They use a web browser, maybe an email client, basic office suite functions, maybe simple financial/tax software. The other component is hardware support. Microsoft will never die as long as businesses have petabytes of .docx & .xlsx files with VBA that only MS Office will open and save properly. A couple months ago I installed Xubuntu 12.04 on a friend's Dell P4 w/ 512 MB RAM machine. I'd previously reinstalled Windows XP a couple times and was tired of it . I put a Firefox launcher on the desktop - just like XP - and did a "click here to shut down and here to find other programs if you want them" sheet. Set updates to download and automatically install security updates only. At last report she was getting along just fine. We'll cross the Xubuntu EOL bridge when we get there.

I wonder how much desktop/laptop usage is shrinking. I suspect that machines are simply being used longer because there's no compelling reason to replace or upgrade unless they physically fail. Of course there are going to be fewer sales under those conditions. For an industry used to double digit growth each year, this is discomforting. The automobile industry in the U.S. has gone through the same thing. Many people no longer trade cars every 3 years like they used to so fewer new cars are needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I have a Nexus 7 tablet, and a desktop dual-boot machine running Windows 7 (STRICTLY for gaming) and Kubuntu 13.04, as well as an Acer C7 Chromebook, on which I installed Chrubuntu. The Acer C7 cost less then the Nexus 7, has MUCH more storage, has a real keyboard, 3 USB 2 ports, an HDMI port and an Ethernet port, a dual-core Celeron (x86), and 2 GB RAM.

I've barely turned on my Nexus 7, except for reading (which tablets are best for), and my Chrubuntu laptop gets used instead.

I have been a Linux user for 5 years now, so it's like coming home for me.

Tablets are nifty, but extremely limited in what they can do, IMHO. The Acer's keyboard beats the snot out of the Microsoft keyboard for their sinking ship of a tablet, even though the Acer lacks a keypad and a Caps Lock indicator. I can live with that.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

I actually am using lubuntu 13.04 windows 7 dual boot on my starting to get old hp laptop but have not booted into windows in a significant part of using lubuntu. I am now thinking I made my lubuntu partition too small.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234