Thread: x32 vs x64 performance question

Beans

x32 vs x64 performance question

Basically, is there a noticeable difference in speed between 32 and 64 bit versions of 12.04? I ask because I had a number of problems installing only to find in the end I had installed the 32 bit version by accident...

Beans

Re: x32 vs x64 performance question

Beans

64 bit will give you better performance than 32 bit, especially if using a PAE kernel. you will sacrafice a minimal amount of RAM for addressing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by kbryant View Post
    Basically, is there a noticeable difference in speed between 32 and 64 bit versions of 12.04? I ask because I had a number of problems installing only to find in the end I had installed the 32 bit version by accident...
    hi
    you can read a lot of discussion. but fakt is. if you are running a 32bit phase on an 64bit system and you get an HSP > 2 GB the addresses must be mapped internal. this are a couple of steps in the system more. von nix kommt nix.
    ciao
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

For ordinary desktop use, you wont notice a speed difference. When you are doing video encoding or certain other intensive tasks, that's where 64-bit really helps.

Otherwise there is very little difference between 32-bit and 64-bit. In theory, and probably in practice, there should be no bugs specific to 32-bit or to 64-bit. If you are having crashes or glitches, changing to 64-bit will not help.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.