Thread: Create new root password? Lubuntu 12.04 root username deleted!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Angry Create new root password? Lubuntu 12.04 root username deleted!

After an exhausting weeks long epic of getting an xorg.conf to work with with my 2001 imac flower power G3, i was managing my accounts and adding new users... Somehow my root account was deleted. I can now only log in as Guest or as my 2nd username.

So now i have no root password, and i can not install packages, connect with wifi, or pretty much anything except play penguin golf etc.

Please someone tell me theres a workaround to make my new username ROOT.
    The reason this is a problem is because normally i would just do a new fresh install, but my cd drive effin died on me right after my 90 day warranty was up! so i cant even reinstall until i get the cd drive! My kids have projects to do as always and i get it working... then mess it up!

Any help would be greatly apprciated! thanks guys n gals.

Beans

Re: Create new root password? Lubuntu 12.04 root username deleted!

It sounds like what you mean is that your primary sudoer account was deleted - if so you can boot into the recovery console and add your 2nd user to the list of sudoers by following the instructions here

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/fixsudo

(of course you could add back your original user if you prefer). Here is some more info about the difference between root and sudo

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The root account is locked in Ubuntu as it's not meant to be used. If you are asking how to add a user to the sudo group then you can do the following...

Boot into recovery mode and drop to a root shell.
    Mount the / partition in read-write mode so you can make changes to it...
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /
    Add your user to the sudo group...
    Code:
    usermod -aG sudo <USER>
    replacing <USER> with your actual username. If you are unsure of your username you can look in the /home directory by doing 'ls -l /home'.
    Type 'exit' to return to the recovery menu and select 'resume normal boot' to finish booting your system.

Your user is now a member of the sudo group so you should now have all the permissions you need.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Sounds like a great fix and I'm going to try this tonight when i get out of work.

Just want to make sure we all understand.. I deleted my main account created during installation; lets say the username was "lubuntu" and the pass was "lubuntu". So when prompted for my "root" password, this would be it.

Now, since it was deleted, i am being prompted "Password for root:" and the password which would be "lubuntu" is no longer working... this is why i say i have deleted my root account.. Sooo haha does this change anything? will this sudo fix be able to help me out?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    The root account is locked in Ubuntu as it's not meant to be used. If you are asking how to add a user to the sudo group then you can do the following...

Boot into recovery mode and drop to a root shell.
    Mount the / partition in read-write mode so you can make changes to it...
    Code:
    mount -o rw,remount /
    Add your user to the sudo group...
    Code:
    usermod -aG sudo <USER>
    replacing <USER> with your actual username. If you are unsure of your username you can look in the /home directory by doing 'ls -l /home'.
    Type 'exit' to return to the recovery menu and select 'resume normal boot' to finish booting your system.

Your user is now a member of the sudo group so you should now have all the permissions you need.

I was not able to boot into recovery mode... Holding shift does not bring up a boot menu as described in one of the links i was provided :see above post:

i have a usb keyboard, not wireless.

So i think that the instructions tell me to hold shift based on the fact that older versions use GNU Grub... i have a single boot system with yaboot as my only loader installed on the apple bootstrap... so any one know how to enter recovery mode with 12.04 and yaboot on a single boot linux ppc?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Problem solved.

First attempt i launched "Linux single" and it still launched X.... don't know why.
    Second attempt, same command "Linux single" and 1 minute goes by and success in the form of root@localhost~$.

So i used
    Code:
    adduser <username> sudo
    and told me user added.
    I then tried
    Code:
    adduser <username> admin
    and it said admin doesnt exist.

But it worked and as a superuser i am no longer prompted for "root" password after the primary account was deleted.
    Hope this helps someone in the future i always refer to old posts for help.