Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 , Still worth using it?

Beans

Post Ubuntu 10.10 , Still worth using it?

So guys, I was looking for an old release of Ubuntu that haven't the Unity interface yet, and I found the Ubuntu 10.10... but my question is: does it still worth using it? does it have compatibility with new programs? thank you guys for the answers. and I know that I can use the Gnome-Shell or Gnome-Panel Sorry by my english :T
    Last edited by TeusHD; May 6th, 2013 at 01:03 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 10.10 , Still worth using it?

Hello and welcome to the forums!

10.10 is long past its end of life and receives no further security updates. You would have a hard time installing anything on it unless someone told you how to find the deactivated repositories -- which seems a bit silly at this point.

If you don't like Unity, you can look into Xubuntu with Xfce, Kubuntu with KDE or Lubuntu with LXDE as a start. I switch between Xubuntu and Kubuntu from time to time. I've never used Lubuntu, but it comes well recommended. There are plenty of other desktop environments (DEs) you can install as well.

Best wishes!
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Security problems are likely, compatibility with new programs is not guaranteed and even if they work you'd have to install them manually, maybe even compile, which can be a pain in the ... Well, you know.

It's better to get a supported version and try a few different desktop environments. I use Xubuntu, it's pretty traditional.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by TeusHD View Post
    So guys, I was looking for an old release of Ubuntu that haven't the Unity interface yet, and I found the Ubuntu 10.10... but my question is: does it still worth using it? does it have compatibility with new programs? thank you guys for the answers. and I know that I can use the Gnome-Shell or Gnome-Panel Sorry by my english :T

If you like the old Gnome 2 interface (like me!) you just install the gnome fallback session in the new/currently supported version of Ubuntu.

Look here for a sample screenshot of what it would look like and how to install it, both through the Software Center or Terminal. Enjoy!

http://complete-concrete-concise.com...ssion-fallback

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Personally, I tried Unity and Gnome Classic (fallback) and didn't really like either one. So I tried Xubuntu, and I love it!! It's really quick and very easy to get used to. I highly recommend you try different ones to find what works best for you. Try them from the cd/dvd first. Then, if you like it, install it.

Beans

here are some few desktop environment you might want to try . Xfce ,Fluxbox,KDE .. i love Xfce easy to use and not too messy like Gnome and unity