Thread: 13.04 xubuntu boot from usb

Beans

Question 13.04 xubuntu boot from usb

i wanna boot xubuntu from my usb drive but i cant figure out how to do so without creating a disc image on a dvdr, ive had ubuntu before a few years ago and didnt mess with it too much, just used it for writing papers for school, now that im older and have graduated im looking into better systems for both my computer and my phone. I love the idea of all of the ubuntu systems. I really dont feel like going and buying a dvdr just for this purpose, ive dowloaded the file from the xubuntu website and all it does when i try to open it, it goes straight into creating a disk image. please help
    Last edited by NolaAssasin; May 6th, 2013 at 10:42 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 13.04 xubuntu boot from usb

Cheesemill

Beans

ahh thank you, i didnt think to check the actual ubuntu website, i was only looking on xubuntu.org

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The file is an ISO image of a CD/DVD. I don't really a need to open it. I assume you are on windows at the moment, and I found these instructions on how to make a bootable USB stick. Once you have booted from the sticik, you have an option of trying Xubuntu, or installing it to the PC.
    Make sure you understand the different install options - the default is to complately wipe the hard drive and install Xubuntu. Make a backup of all your important stuff first, as a mistake could see it all deleted.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...ick-on-windows

Edit:
    Cheesemill beat me to it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Beans

yea im working on creating a few noot images on my usb right now, i have ubuntu 13.04 and x ubuntu 13.04 gonna give em a test run and see which one i like more, i will probably wipe my hard drive and replace windows with either one since i really dont care for windows, before this discovery i thought my only other option might be MAC and in that case i would rather kill myself haha thanks for all of the help so far, hopefully this install goes smoothly.