Thread: SimCity

Beans

SimCity

Hey guys, so I'm currently in the process of building my own computer and I've decided to use Ubuntu as an operating system. I'm going to be dual booting Windows 8 since I'm using it mainly for games. Well anyway, the processor I got comes with a free code for SimCity. My question is: Has anyone been able to run this game on wine? If no one has tried it I guess I'll just have to try it out when it's all ready to go.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: SimCity

I have no idea about SimCity 5, but I can personally play SimCity 4 Deluxe and 3000 using Wine.

The question is, is SimCity 5 DirectX11 only? Or does it also support DirectX9? If it supports DX9, then chances are you'll get it up and running no problem in Wine.

Do take note, EA's Origin really hates Wine. They've put code into Origin so that if you're not running on Windows, then they'll warn you saying they don't support this OS. I know because I have BF3 and have been trying to get it working for a while. Origin works in the latest Wine (1.5.29 at the time of this writing), so at least you're good there.

WineHQ's rating is pretty bad though, they give it Garbage rating: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...sion&iId=27821

Beans

Re: SimCity

Hmm I'll try it out when I get everything together, and update here. If it doesn't work oh well!