Thread: NTFS Drives are Read Only in Ubuntu 13.04

Beans

Exclamation NTFS Drives are Read Only in Ubuntu 13.04

Dear all,

I have been facing two problems with 13.04:

1. Internal HDD don't mount automatically, and when I modify them
    2. They mount automatically but they're mounted as Read-only.

I tried using NTFS, and NTFS-3g in the fstab file but they still mount at read only (i.e. I can't move them to the trash nor renaming them).

The same fstab I used to use with 12.04 and it was working fine.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Beans

Re: NTFS Drives are Read Only in Ubuntu 13.04

Hello Mesopotamia,

I have a similar problem except it is a ext4 partition that mounts as read only, my ntfs has full rw permissions when mounted.

If it helps, this is the line from my fstab that automounts my ntfs partition.
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/A4B0266BB0264460 /media/Data auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
    I'm on 13.04 too.

Beans

Please post the output of the following commands:
    Code:
    sudo blkid -c /dev/null
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    Code:
    mount
    And if it's not too late stay away from the "Disks" utility. It's not ready for prime time and adds options like "nofail,x-gvfs-show" which just causes more problems.

Beans

And if it's not too late stay away from the "Disks" utility. It's not ready for prime time and adds options like "nofail,x-gvfs-show" which just causes more problems.
    lol yes I found that out. Bootup stalled at mounting my ext4 partition with those two options. Once removed it mounted more or less ok. The ntfs partition mounts ok with them though!

Beans

You might want to try this Mesopotamia, it worked for me:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12634271

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slimline66 View Post
    You might want to try this Mesopotamia, it worked for me:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12634271
    Can't do a chown or chmod on a mounted ntfs partition since there are no Linux ownership / permissions bits within a Windows filesystem. To change ownership / permissions on an ntfs partition you need to change it within the mount command itself.

Something like the NTFS template:
    Code:
    UUID=DA9056C19056A3B3 /media/WinD ntfs defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,windows_names 0 0
    "uid=1000" will mount the partition with you as owner
    "umask=000" will make it r/w to everyone. This is the default but it's in the template so you can go back and change it if your requirements change.

Beans

Unfortunately, none of the methods mentioned above worked. It kept brining a message stating that the volume can not be mounted when I first boot Ubuntu.

I've provided the output of all the required commands.

Code:
    ____@Babylon:~$ sudo blkid -c /dev/null 
    /dev/sda1: LABEL="Movies 02" UUID="3245783F4439C596" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sdb1: LABEL="Mac Backup" UUID="25BC6E9613D3D5E7" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sdb2: LABEL="Data" UUID="2ED051A8719ED0D0" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sdb3: LABEL="Random Stuff" UUID="390BD77811097D56" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sdc1: LABEL="Movies 03" UUID="42F34DD06CE57879" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sdd1: LABEL="Movies 01" UUID="9C5ECFAF5ECF810E" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sde1: LABEL="System Reserved" UUID="98886EF5886ED0F4" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sde2: LABEL="Windows 7" UUID="DA847CD7847CB799" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sde5: UUID="691e359a-810b-4bd5-9a7d-92c9618e062a" TYPE="swap" 
    /dev/sde6: UUID="affeedcc-f9b3-46bf-9f54-d2001d37345d" TYPE="ext4" 
    /dev/sdf1: UUID="EF33-5CBB" TYPE="vfat"

Nothing in the fstab file except the RAMDisk.
    Code:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
    proc                                       /proc        proc  nodev,noexec,nosuid         0  0  

# / was on /dev/sda6 during installation
    UUID=affeedcc-f9b3-46bf-9f54-d2001d37345d  /            ext4  errors=remount-ro           0  1  

# swap was on /dev/sda7 during installation
    UUID=691e359a-810b-4bd5-9a7d-92c9618e062a  none         swap  sw                          0  0  

tmpfs                                      /mnt/RAMDisk tmpfs   defaults,       size=8192M        0  0
    Code:
    ____@Babylon:~$ mount                                                                                                                                                                 
    /dev/sde6 on / type ext4 (rw,errors=remount-ro)                                                                                                                                         
    proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)                                                                                                                                        
    sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)                                                                                                                                       
    none on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw)                                                                                                                                                  
    none on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)                                                                                                                                      
    none on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)                                                                                                                                             
    none on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)                                                                                                                                       
    udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,mode=0755)                                                                                                                                               
    devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620)                                                                                                                       
    tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,size=10%,mode=0755)                                                                                                                          
    none on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=5242880)                                                                                                                      
    none on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)                                                                                                                                           
    none on /run/user type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,size=104857600,mode=0755)                                                                                                          
    tmpfs on /mnt/RAMDisk type tmpfs (rw)                                                                                                                                                   
    gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/MyUsername/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=MyUsername)                                                                                                  
    /dev/sdf1 on /media/MyUsername/EF33-5CBB type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,showexec,flush,uhelper=udisks2)                                     
    gvfsd-fuse on /home/MyUsername/.gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev)                                                                                                                 
    /dev/sdc1 on /media/MyUsername/Movies 03 type ntfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177,uhelper=udisks2)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Mesopotamia View Post
    Code:
    ____@Babylon:~$ mount  

<snip>

/dev/sdc1 on /media/MyUsername/Movies 03 type ntfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,dmask=0077,fmask=0177,uhelper=udisks2)
    That looks as though /dev/sdc1 has been mounted from the GUI, but is using the read-only ntfs kernel driver rather than the FUSE ntfs-3g driver. Did you uninstall the package ntfs-3g? Check your package manager. Re-install ntfs-3g if it isn't installed.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.