Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 500GB HDD: Partition sizes + filesystems for Win8, Ubuntu, and media/program files?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: 500GB HDD: Partition sizes + filesystems for Win8, Ubuntu, and media/program file

Your screen shot and last question are the same thing. You can turn off os-prober and edit at will or delete entries in 25_custom. Just only change the menu entry in the quotes as that is what you see or delete entire boot stanza or it will not update. Each boot stanza is from menuentry line to last line }. I had an error in one of mine - missing end } for several years and never noticed a missing stanza. When grub updated to 1.99 it would not update anything until I found my typo.

I have only shared data in NTFS partitions. I do believe someone else posted a question on permissions, but NTFS does not support any Linux ownership nor permissions. You do have to set defaults when you mount with fstab. Windows 8 may do its own thing, but I do not have Windows 8 and do not plan to.

I multi-boot Ubuntu and cannot hibernate as I share swap. But some systems have issues with hibernating, both with Windows and Linux. It will not boot a lot faster, but if it works for you.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: 500GB HDD: Partition sizes + filesystems for Win8, Ubuntu, and media/program file

Please please please answer the questions I have asked.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I thought I did.
    If system boots with secure boot on then you must have it. Otherwise you have to boot Windows with secure boot, go back to UEFI and boot Ubuntu installer and use Boot-Repair with Secure boot check box and install grub2's shim and signed kernels.
    Or by looking at boot repair BootInfo, if you have shim you have the signed versions.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12