Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Compile the development version of vlc under the latest Ubuntu release

Beans

Re: Howto: Compile the development version of vlc under the latest Ubuntu release

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    I have added in instruction to compile libdvdcss as Medibuntu has gone at least for the moment. Could not get 1.2.13 to compile but I will have another look later unless somebody can solve the issue earlier!
    1.2.13 'release' shouldn't be an issue to build & use, the current git should build but may have some issues with symbols.

Are you sure it didn't build the .so?, the .13 build is quite short
    libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.2.0
    libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.13 for DVD access
    Not too sure there is any advantage to .13 or that much practical difference in the last couple of years of releases...

edit
    As a standalone build & install may be necessary to run an ldconfig
    Last edited by mc4man; May 18th, 2013 at 02:28 AM.

Beans

Re: Howto: Compile the development version of vlc under the latest Ubuntu release

Thanks for looking at that mc4man! I will not admit to the stupid thing I was doing but of course 1.2.13 builds and installs just fine. So now this guide is well insulated from whatever becomes of Medibuntu.

Next step is to tidy up the docs from each of the compiled packages and then phase 1 of the return to the Forums is done .
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

"--enable-postproc --enable-pthreads" should be default (at least in recent from git), so they aren't needed but won't hurt if you leave them.

Beans

Thanks for that, I shall alter the guide. It has been a decent while since I have looked at the FFmpeg configure options properly and I should also add in --disable-ffprobe for completeness as well. Edit: Or --disable-programs rather...

As a sidenote this looked interesting for my own copy of FFmpeg (rather than this guide):

Code:
    --enable-hardcoded-tables use hardcoded tables instead of runtime generation
    Still reading up on this one though...
    Last edited by andrew.46; May 18th, 2013 at 02:08 PM.

Beans

I have been experimenting a little with vovoid's vsxu which works well enough with the git vlc, although it is a little twitchy in VM. I still have some work to do for the installation but early adopters might like to try the following:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libglew-dev libglfw-dev libftgl-dev libjpeg-dev libxrandr-dev cmake

cd $HOME/vlc_build && \
    git clone git://github.com/vovoid/vsxu.git --depth 1 && \
    cd $HOME/vlc_build/vsxu && mkdir build && cd build &&  \
    cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local -DOPTIMIZATION_FLAGS=1 .. && make && \
    mkdir -vp doc-pak && cp -v ../COPYING ../INSTALL ../README.md doc-pak && \
    sudo checkinstall --pakdir "$HOME/vlc_build" --backup=no --deldoc=yes \
                      --pkgname vsxu --pkgversion "0.4.0-git-$(date +%Y%m%d)" --fstrans=no \
                      --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes --default && \
    sudo ldconfig && rm -rf $HOME/vlc_build/vsxu/build
    Edit: I have updated the install instructions a little, close to final version now...
    Last edited by andrew.46; May 21st, 2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Added fresh instructions...

Beans

I have vsxu running on Slackware (which was not easy btw) so I can now see the visualisations running properly (VM with 3D acceleration does not do it justice). I have thus had a chance to have a closer look at the build system so definitely a little work to do on the syntax above, maybe next weekend I will add the altered syntax onto the main guide, I also need to find where to add the extra visualisations need to go, so more work ahead. A quick screenshot as a teaser added...

Edit: Looks like the extra visualisations will live in with all of the other *.vsx files
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by andrew.46; May 20th, 2013 at 12:46 PM.

Beans

Vovoid's vsxu visualisations now in place and I have added in a soundfont suitable for vlc + libfluidsynth, midi playback possible with this. I attach a screenshot showing the section in preferences to put the midi details...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

In a bit more weekend work I have installed a newer version of chromaprint:

Code:
    cd $HOME/vlc_build && sudo apt-get remove libchromaprint-dev && \
    wget https://bitbucket.org/acoustid/chromaprint/downloads/chromaprint-0.7.tar.gz && \
    tar xvf chromaprint-0.7.tar.gz && cd chromaprint-0.7 && \
    mkdir build && cd build && \
    cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local -DFFMPEG_ROOT=$HOME/vlc_build/vlcdeps/usr .. && \
    make && \
    mkdir -vp doc-pak && cp -v ../COPYING.txt ../NEWS.txt ../README.txt doc-pak && \
    sudo checkinstall --pakdir "$HOME/vlc_build" --backup=no --deldoc=yes \
                      --pkgname libchromaprint --pkgversion "0.7" --fstrans=no \
                      --deldesc=yes --delspec=yes --default && \
    sudo ldconfig && rm -rf $HOME/vlc_build/chromaprint-0.7/build
    (Both chromaprint and vlc are happier btw if --enable-shared is added to the FFmpeg ./configure string.) vlc builds fine against this but I could not find the appropriate window to get this going, I believe there should be an option off the 'Media Info' window. Anybody have some ideas on this one?
    Last edited by andrew.46; May 25th, 2013 at 07:31 AM.

Beans

Latest successful compile for this guide:

Code:
    andrew@corinth:~$ cvlc --version | head -n 3
    VLC media player 2.1.0-pre1 Rincewind (revision 6c316cc)
    VLC version 2.1.0-pre1 Rincewind (6c316cc)
    Compiled by andrew on corinth (May 30 2013 11:04:06)
    Compiler: gcc version 4.7.3 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.7.3-1ubuntu1)
    I have given up on acoustic fingerprinting for the moment, vlc forums query was not terribly useful.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    I see that the vlc developers have upped their flac version to 1.3.0-pre4 as flac slowly moves towards a new release.
    With a minimum of fanfare the new flac release is out:

http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/f...c-1.3.0.tar.xz

Low key announcement here . A big day for the audio world...

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast