Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Compile the development version of vlc under the latest Ubuntu release

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Re: Howto: Compile the development version of vlc under the latest Ubuntu release

Based on what it sounds like you're saying, the reason 'export' is needed is because setting environment variables as separate steps before ever running configure is not supported; configure will rewrite them (and thus you lose their values) unless they've been exported. The way to get around that is to specify the variables with configure, as a single command.

Frankly, it makes little sense to me to try setting [CPP|C|CXX|LD|etc.]FLAGS as 'regular' environment variables, and it doesn't surprise me at all that they don't work that way; they were never intended to work that way. Those flags are generally specific to the current project in question and should not spill over between multiple projects. Trying to set them as exported variables is nothing else except spillage. The guide itself issues these as a single command like I just described (it's what those \ are for), not separate ones, and thus configure inherits the FLAGS values in the variables. That's why it doesn't have to use 'export'.

Being paranoid about whether something uses the headers/libs in one directory vs. another is where path order comes in. PKG_CONFIG_PATH (and PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR as well, probably - LIBDIR being more strict about where it loads things from, at the risk of breaking other library detection) will load the first occurrence of a project's dev files that appears in their path:
    Code:
    PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/ffmpeg/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
    will use the FFmpeg in /opt rather than the one in /usr/local, in this case.

Beans

Re: Howto: Compile the development version of vlc under the latest Ubuntu release

Quote Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
    Based on what it sounds like you're saying, the reason 'export' is needed is because setting environment variables as separate steps before ever running configure is not supported; configure will rewrite them (and thus you lose their values) unless they've been exported. The way to get around that is to specify the variables with configure, as a single command...

I see, this makes sense. But I don't get the part about spillage. There is no spillage with 'export' because it only affects the current terminal session as I understand, close the terminal and they are reset. If you put that in .profile (or .bashrc?) then yes.

Well I suppose some people would use the same terminal session from one project to the next unrelated one, but I always start a new terminal session.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; June 11th, 2014 at 06:40 PM.

Beans

Thanks qyot27 for that great exlanation about the use of environment variables. I have been away but at least temporarily back and I have added in a simple update: moving to the latest release version of Fmpeg. Latest successful compile:

Code:
    andrew@hellas:~$ cvlc --version | head -n 3
    VLC media player 2.2.0-git Weatherwax (revision bb9e60e)
    VLC version 2.2.0-git Weatherwax (bb9e60e)
    Compiled by andrew on hellas (Jun 13 2014 16:04:05)
    Compiler: gcc version 4.8.2 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1)
    Perhaps with the next FFmpeg version cut from git I will revisit x265 in this guide, x265 is looking pretty solid from the commandline these days...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Well I suppose some people would use the same terminal session from one project to the next unrelated one, but I always start a new terminal session.
    This is precisely the scenario I meant by 'spillage'. Not closing the Terminal session between building each project is common enough (or even the typical approach; restarting the Terminal or constantly opening new tabs after each project would get really annoying for something like this) that guides and rules of thumb need to account for it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
    [...] restarting the Terminal or constantly opening new tabs after each project would get really annoying for something like this) [...]
    And people tell me that I make complex guides

Beans

Last update for a little while. I have updated the live555 libraries and also corrected a mistake I made in the live555 removal instructions. Changed the pkgversion to 3.0.0 now that Vetinari is with us.

Code:
    andrew@hellas:~$ cvlc --version | head -n 3
    VLC media player 3.0.0-git Vetinari (revision 2.2.0-git-4-g5d11e66)
    VLC version 3.0.0-git Vetinari (2.2.0-git-4-g5d11e66)
    Compiled by andrew on hellas (Jun 15 2014 21:28:19)
    Compiler: gcc version 4.8.2 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-19ubuntu1)
    I am still having fun building the git vlc, I hope others are too .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    And people tell me that I make complex guides
    It actually didn't start out complex; it originally only had the main components and some useful optional dependencies. But then I decided to challenge myself with getting all those disparate external libraries and whatnot built so that both FFmpeg and mpv could be as fully-featured as possible, and it just metastasized. The only reason I had to give instructions for each little piece is that there is no reliably uniform repository system on Windows to pull in this stuff, and I did this in a vacuum apart from setups like MXE, winbuilds, or on Windows itself, the appearance of MSys2 (which uses a Windows port of pacman to handle packages).

On the upside, though, it provides a point-of-reference for static toolchains and dependency chains for FFmpeg and mpv, and IMO that element of it is more centrally important than whether it's technically possible to accomplish the same thing with less tedium by using the package management tools others have set up. 64-bit is a sore spot because I don't have any Win64 setups to test on, but it's probably only a matter of time before I get around to doing that too.

Beans

Hi,

I have some audio files that I can play with vlc 2.1.x but not with 2.2 or 3.0.0 (latest git). The codecs of these are FFAAC and FFFLAC, I wonder if anyone has an idea about it.
    Here are two samples, perhaps someone can have a look. They are a bit big so I can't upload them here. I am sorry for the captcha. Thanks
    http://filecloud.io/m9s1kj3r

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Hi,

I have some audio files that I can play with vlc 2.1.x but not with 2.2 or 3.0.0 (latest git). The codecs of these are FFAAC and FFFLAC, I wonder if anyone has an idea about it.
    Here are two samples, perhaps someone can have a look. They are a bit big so I can't upload them here. I am sorry for the captcha. Thanks
    http://filecloud.io/m9s1kj3r
    The first one is a Dash audio & it seems vlc > 2.1.x can no longer handle. The other, flac in ogg, same deal. You could file vlc bugs on Videolan's bug thing or post query's in it's support forum.

(using ffmpeg with -c:a copy to .m4a or .flac respectively will 'fix' vlc playback
    Last edited by mc4man; June 23rd, 2014 at 03:20 PM.

Beans

As always MPlayer plays these files flawlessly......

Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast