Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Compile the development version of vlc under the latest Ubuntu release

Beans

Re: Howto: Compile the development version of vlc under the latest Ubuntu release

It looks interesting, does vlc use minizip to read media files in zip archives? I am at work at the moment and cannot test this out, I would be particularly interested to see if the vlc build as it is can read such files or whether the addition of minizip would be an enhancement...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Howto: Compile the development version of vlc under the latest Ubuntu release

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    ... interesting...
    Hi
    I'm locked out of my Xubuntu now.
    Changed resolution settings and now after login just a blank screen with pointer.
    Booted into different system till I get it fixed..

Beans

Mind you I tested a media file in a zip archive and vlc played it fine without minizip so I might hold off just for the moment...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie

[*]System installation of a specific snapshot of x265. This one was a challenge and stubbornly refused all attempts at a local installation which could be used by FFmpeg and vlc. FFmpeg would not link with static libs and and vlc was only happy with shared, system libs.
    FFmpeg's problem with static libs for x265 was something I ran into when doing an extremely minimal build with only a few external libraries. I never ran into it when linking in all the rest of the external libraries I normally use (when cross-compiling, but this is a moot point).

The reason is that pkg-config isn't being told to use the --static flag, which is something I did use with the huge list of external libraries (SDL, libschrödinger, librtmp, and one or two others require it in order to link statically). libx265 seems to be yet another that needs it. So at least in the FFmpeg step, getting libx265.a to link in would require:
    --pkg-config="pkg-config --static"

Although libav seems to be close to adding a --pkg-config-flags option if the mailing list is any indication, so if FFmpeg pulls that particular change in, it'd probably be --pkg-config-flags="--static" rather than needing to specify it through the option meant for pointing at the binary itself.

Beans

Thanks for that qyot, certainly this allows FFmpeg to compile against the static, local, libraries which is the first part of the puzzle! vlc finds and compiles against x265 but will not encode:

Code:
    [00007f84640011c8] avcodec encoder error: cannot open hevc video encoder
    [00007f84640011c8] core encoder error: Streaming / Transcoding failed
    [00007f84640011c8] core encoder error: VLC could not open the hevc video encoder.
    Which is something I hope to battle with on my days off....

Beans

Having had a good look at Trusty Tahr it looks like this guide will remain as it is until just after the release on or about April 17th. Looks like a great release coming and one that will be very kind to those of us who enjoy compiling the latest vlc

Beans
    Distro

Hi
    minizip gives error:-
    Code:
    main libvlc warning: cannot load module `/usr/local/lib/vlc/plugins/access/libzip_plugin.so' (/usr/local/lib/vlc/plugins/access/libzip_plugin.so: undefined symbol: inflate)
    Maybe it's best to keep this "feature" out of the Howto guide after all.

Also I need to investigate this error now:-
    Code:
    main libvlc warning: cannot load module `/usr/local/lib/vlc/plugins/access/liblive555_plugin.so' (/usr/local/lib/vlc/plugins/access/liblive555_plugin.so: undefined symbol: _ZTI10RTSPClient)
    Tested with xubuntu-14.04-beta1-desktop-i386.

Code:
    @Xubuntu:~$ cvlc --version
    VLC media player 2.2.0-git Weatherwax (revision 00f76ba)
    VLC version 2.2.0-git Weatherwax (00f76ba)
    Compiled by ron on Xubuntu (Mar 16 2014 02:36:49)
    Compiler: gcc version 4.8.2 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-16ubuntu6)

Beans

Hey Ron!

Were you using live.2014.01.21.tar.gz (sourced from videolan) or the latest version live.2014.03.16.tar.gz (sourced from live555 download page)? I am at work at the moment but I will check my own installation when I get home...

Beans
    Distro

... Were you using live.2014.01.21.tar.gz...
    Hi
    I used 2014.03.16.tar.gz from live555.com with ffmpeg-git.
    Now rebuilt with 2014.01.21.tar.gz from videolan.com and ffmpeg-61ff043 but the error message still shows.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ron998 View Post
    Also I need to investigate this error now:-
    Code:
    main libvlc warning: cannot load module `/usr/local/lib/vlc/plugins/access/liblive555_plugin.so' (/usr/local/lib/vlc/plugins/access/liblive555_plugin.so: undefined symbol: _ZTI10RTSPClient)
    Hi
    To help VLC find live555 I had used extra flags...
    LIVE555_LIBS="-L$HOME/vlc_build/vlcdeps/usr/lib"
    LIVE555_CFLAGS="-I$HOME/vlc_build/vlcdeps/usr/include"

This found live555 OK but failed to register "version 1324598400 or later", so plugin was not compiled correctly.
    Removed these extra flags and error message has disappeared (using 2014.03.16.tar.gz).
    My own fault for trying to be too clever. A little knowledge is dangerous.

By the way, the "--enable-realrtsp" option is badly broken.
    Google says it can't/won't be fixed.
    Probably that's why it's disabled by default.
    Maybe best to airbrush this "feature" from the Howto guide.
    Code:
    @Xubuntu:~$ cvlc --version
    VLC media player 2.2.0-git Weatherwax (revision f952f16)
    VLC version 2.2.0-git Weatherwax (f952f16)
    Compiled by ron on Xubuntu (Mar 16 2014 21:03:26)
    Compiler: gcc version 4.8.2 (Ubuntu 4.8.2-16ubuntu6)

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast