Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best way to start in the IT industry?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Best way to start in the IT industry?

The bashing of IT does get old....I work at a law firm so at least I know everybody hates attorneys. anywho....

Like others have said there often isn't a point A to B, but I have a degree in Biology and made the jump to IT. Rather than going the CS degree route I worked during the day and just went to a community/junior college and got an AA degree in Network systems while going to class nights and weekends. Pretty cheap route really. This was 1997 though and they gave out IT jobs out like candy.

Although the people I interview (entry level postitions), I really don't care about degrees etc. If I can relate well to them and they have some real world experience and exhibit proficiency then that's all I need. Learning on the job and picking up things quickly is more important.

Before spending any money send some Resumes out and see what happens. Often a responsible 32 year old is better than a 22 year old to many people.

Good Luck
    Last edited by smellyman; May 6th, 2013 at 12:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm in a similar situation as the OP, 30 years old (and a woman) and wanting to make a career switch. I work as an office rat in a small firm, so the entire "IT" lies in my hands, but truth be told, there's not much it-ing in 3 computers in a LAN and 4 POSes. I have started college last year, and will get a cert or two, but so far, when looking for an IT job, the responses I got were "you have no experience, we need a formed person". But I won't give up!

Never give up!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Something you have to keep in mind is that job searching and hiring is really just a matter of supply and demand. Companies doing hires are going to hire whomever they think is the best. If someone can fit all the paper qualifications and knock their socks off in an interview, of course they'll hire that person. But oftentimes, all it takes to get hired is to be better than the other applicants.

I'm in kind of a niche field, but I went from working in schools to working in a company that places teachers in schools. Initially my company was more interested in candidates with degrees, certifications, and more years of experience, but they realized after interviewing those people that I had all the skills needed and I had the people skills and knowledge of their client schools that would make me a better candidate.

I would say (this will be difficult, of course, but) try to find weird niche industries or companies that won't just be flooded with résumés from people who are exactly like you... except with all the degrees and certifications you don't have.
    Last edited by aysiu; May 6th, 2013 at 09:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by smellyman View Post
    Although the people I interview (entry level postitions), I really don't care about degrees etc. If I can relate well to them and they have some real world experience and exhibit proficiency then that's all I need. Learning on the job and picking up things quickly is more important.
    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    If someone can fit all the paper qualifications and knock their socks off in an interview, of course they'll hire that person. But oftentimes, all it takes to get hired is to be better than the other applicants
    I think one of the things I'm really going to need to work on is my resumé/application writing. Getting an interview (for anything) has always been my biggest weakness in job hunting, but I tend to interview extremely well. In my entire life, I've only interviewed for one job that I didn't get, and that was because I after I'd interviewed and been given a conditional job offer, it turned out that my credit was too bad to get a bond (not true any more)
    My blog about getting your life in gear: Growing Up After 30.

My Photography: Stephen Michael Photography.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb View Post
    I think one of the things I'm really going to need to work on is my resumé/application writing. Getting an interview (for anything) has always been my biggest weakness in job hunting, but I tend to interview extremely well. In my entire life, I've only interviewed for one job that I didn't get, and that was because I after I'd interviewed and been given a conditional job offer, it turned out that my credit was too bad to get a bond (not true any more)
    It could be worth your while taking an alternative route to finding a job, i.e. networking. Which is about cultivating worthwhile contacts in the industry, not attending those horrible "networking" meetings. Good resources are the book What Color is your Parachute? by Richard Bolles (it's been around for over 40 years now) and the website http://corcodilos.com/blog (The website associated with the blog does leave a certain amount to be desired in the formatting department, but don't let that put you off.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks to all for the continued feedback. In addition to everything else, I've picked up a copy of What Color is your Parachute? 2013 (I guess it gets a major rewrite every year) and Joh Acuff's new book Start, since I'm a big Dave Ramsey fan.

It's funny how succeeding in one or two areas of your life really makes you see/feel/understand all the areas where you need to do better. I got remarried almost 2 years ago to a wonderful woman, and together we've been cleaning up our finances and saving for a house. Suddenly, my more or less respectable but unmotivating job is completely intolerable without some sort of plan or goal to do better with that area of my life.
    My blog about getting your life in gear: Growing Up After 30.

My Photography: Stephen Michael Photography.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12