Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 shutdown freezes and won't proceed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Exclamation Ubuntu 13.04 shutdown freezes and won't proceed

Hi,

I upgraded my laptop today to Ubuntu 13.04 and noticed that after I try to shutdown the laptop, it starts shutting down, the ubuntu screen with little dots appears and then the screen goes dark. The shutdown process freezes there. The screen is dark but it is not off. The fan is running at steady speed. I have waited for 8-10 minutes but it just stays in that stage.

The problem was not there on Ubuntu 12.10. I fresh installed 13.04 today and problem has started. It appears consistently at every shutdown. I have to press and hold the power button to turn off the laptop forcefully.

Following is my configuration:

Dell XPS 15z laptop
    intel i5 processor 2.4 GHz with 6 GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce GT 525M

Please let me know if I should post more info.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 shutdown freezes and won't proceed

if you want to know what is happening, you can:
    - remove "quiet splash" from /etc/default/grub , then update grub again
    - glance at the logs for usefull warnings/errors (.xsession-errors & /var/log/)

to force the shutdown process: open a terminal and run
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -h now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi,

The problem seems to have gone away after I installed Bumblebee.

Thanks for the reply. This thread can now be closed.

Beans

I am having the same freeze on shutdown with Ubuntu 13.04, occasionally. Except in my case the Ubuntu screen appears with the little dots, and the dots just continue and continue for many minutes, until I finally shut it down with the power button

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pestucky View Post
    I am having the same freeze on shutdown with Ubuntu 13.04, occasionally. Except in my case the Ubuntu screen appears with the little dots, and the dots just continue and continue for many minutes, until I finally shut it down with the power button
    I am having the same problem after I upgraded my Ubuntu from 12.10, and everytime I shutdown, it just freezes at the Ubuntu splash screen until I shut it down manually with the power button.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vixx_Daru View Post
    I am having the same problem after I upgraded my Ubuntu from 12.10, and everytime I shutdown, it just freezes at the Ubuntu splash screen until I shut it down manually with the power button.
    Same problem with me I have a fresh install of ubuntu 13.04 on a laptop dell latitude d520 everything appears as ok, I even have tried to edit the dispatcher voice or something and turns out it kills my sound...now I'm looking for a possible answer, please advice.

Gus

P.d: when I press shutdown or even restart it stall on a terminal about the dispatcher and I have to shutdown manually with the power button on my laptop. ehen I press shutdown on the top menu (even in the terminal) it will stall on the ubuntu dots and it will go for more than 5 minutes until I have to shutdown manually...

Beans

Same problem for me on HP EliteBook 8540w, I've always to shout down manually by pressing the power button

Beans

Same problem on Asrock Vision 3D with Ubuntu 13.04 freshly installed. Had to revert to Ubuntu 12.10..

Beans

Same problem on Dell inspirion N5010 , even on SSD with fresh install.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, All,

I too have the Ubuntu red and white dots splash screen. unendingly sequencing on shutdown, until forced to quit. That is on five different installations of 13.04, which shut down completely normally until Wednesday or Thursday of last week.

It does not respond to the usuall Keystrokes - 'Ctrl +Alt+t', 'Ctrl +Alt+F1-7', Ctrl +Alt+Del'.

But to save having to use a Power-off shut down, it does respond to 'Alt Gr+PrintScreen/Sys Req'. and shuts down immediately.

Edit : Contrary to other Posts reporting similar shutdown freezes, mine does shutdown normally from a terminal, using: 'Sudo shutdown -h now'.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; May 20th, 2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: note added
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast