Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problems booting with 13.04 on PPC

Beans

Re: Problems booting with 13.04 on PPC

I just noticed the link in Step 6 of the work-around points to a blank page. Without it, the work-around isn't going to help. I reported the problem to the lubuntu-qa mailing list. Hopefully, someone on there can fix it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by michiganmac View Post
    I just noticed the link in Step 6 of the work-around points to a blank page. Without it, the work-around isn't going to help. I reported the problem to the lubuntu-qa mailing list. Hopefully, someone on there can fix it.
    Yes, I noticed. I created a Xorg.conf file with the basic parameters, even so. I ended up with just a splash screen, then nothing (not even the ability to go to a CLI with Ctrl+Alt+F1). Then I added
    Code:
    nouveau.modeset=0
    to the yaboot.conf to see if it changed anything, but it didn't.

So, I think I will wait for the fixing of the link you suggested, my last chance before giving up and returning to good old 12.04.

Anyway, thanks for your great help! If you have any news about the broken link, please tell me.
    Desktop: Ubuntustudio 20.04 running on AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, with Nvidia Geforce 1050Ti graphics; Laptop: Ubuntustudio 20.04 running on a Intel i5 6200U @2.30 GHz

Beans

I removed everything from yaboot.conf (except "quiet splash"). I disabled 3d acceleration in xorg.conf and replaced the "nouveau" driver for a "fbdev" one.
    Still the same. Afterwords I set the driver to be "nouveau" again, keeping the 3d acceleration disabled.

Nothing changed: I have a pretty splash screen and then a "no signal" message on my monitor.
    Desktop: Ubuntustudio 20.04 running on AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, with Nvidia Geforce 1050Ti graphics; Laptop: Ubuntustudio 20.04 running on a Intel i5 6200U @2.30 GHz

Beans

@ michiganmac Kudos for going above and beyond trying to help a fellow community member!

@ canhoto A couple things you could try.

I don't currently know of a workaround to get nouveau working with acceleration. There have been a lot of upstream changes lately. If that is important to you, you may want to stick with 12.04 for now.

Following on the method michiganmac suggested to boot the live installer from where I think you are now:
    1. Remove "splash quiet" from yaboot appends. This won't fix anything, buy you may be able to glimpse an error message before it goes blank.
    2. Remove any xorg.conf files created.
    3. Follow this link and replace the line "radeonfb mode_option=1024x768-32@60" with "nvidiafb mode_option=whatever resolution you used to boot the installer"
    I would go all the way through the steps to sudo update-initramfs -u as that will give you your screen sooner. (If it works. )
    4. Boot with
    Code:
    Linux video=offb:off nouveau.modeset=0
    If that works, you can append the commands to yaboot.

Alternatively, If you can boot to a GUI but just poor color using video=ofonly nouveau.modeset=0, you should be able to create a simple xorg.conf using FBDEV.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by str8bs; May 7th, 2013 at 06:33 AM. Reason: wrap code remove smiley

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by str8bs View Post
    @ michiganmac Kudos for going above and beyond trying to help a fellow community member!

@ canhoto A couple things you could try.

I don't currently know of a workaround to get nouveau working with acceleration. There have been a lot of upstream changes lately. If that is important to you, you may want to stick with 12.04 for now.

Following on the method michiganmac suggested to boot the live installer from where I think you are now:
    1. Remove "splash quiet" from yaboot appends. This won't fix anything, buy you may be able to glimpse an error message before it goes blank.
    2. Remove any xorg.conf files created.
    3. Follow this link and replace the line "radeonfb mode_option=1024x768-32@60" with "nvidiafb mode_option=whatever resolution you used to boot the installer"
    I would go all the way through the steps to sudo update-initramfs -u as that will give you your screen sooner. (If it works. )
    4. Boot with
    Code:
    Linux video=offb:off nouveau.modeset=0
    If that works, you can append the commands to yaboot.

Alternatively, If you can boot to a GUI but just poor color using video=ofonly nouveau.modeset=0, you should be able to create a simple xorg.conf using FBDEV.
    Good luck.
    Great! Now it's up and running! Thank you!
    Just one tiny question: where in the yaboot.conf file should I add the parameters?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by canhoto View Post
    Great! Now it's up and running! Thank you!
    Just one tiny question: where in the yaboot.conf file should I add the parameters?
    Good work! Put whatever you are typing after Linux at the boot: prompt in the append section. Same place you saw "quiet splash" and then sudo ybin -v.
    Enjoy 13.04.

Beans

hi how can I make a simple xorg.conf file for a geforce 6600 in a mac g5?

Gus

Please forgive me for bothering you guys but i'd love to have kubuntu up and running installed on my g5

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gusduenas View Post
    hi how can I make a simple xorg.conf file for a geforce 6600 in a mac g5?

Gus

Please forgive me for bothering you guys but i'd love to have kubuntu up and running installed on my g5
    If after install, you CAN boot into low color using video=ofonly nouveau.modeset=0, press <ctl><alt><F1> to get to a prompt and login.
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    make it look like this:
    Code:
         Section "Device"
         Identifier "GoofyApple"
         Driver "FBDEV"
         EndSection

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier "Wonka"
         EndSection

Section "Screen"
         Identifier "Willy"
         Monitor "Wonka"
         DefaultDepth 24
         EndSection
    press <ctl><o> and enter to save, then <ctl><x> to exit back to prompt
    sudo shutdown -r now

Beans

Hi Man, I have a problem right now, I have the Kubuntu 13.04 installed and it won't boot to my osx at all, it will redirects me again to the yaboot screen...do you know why is that?
    and this time if a type the l on the yaboot and linux in the other prompt I will go directly to the black screen, so do you think that maybe doing the Kernel thing and the xorg.conf is the way to go and once I have this thing made it will boot again to osx...thanks.

Gus

Beans

@gusduenas
    With all due respect, I recommend you pick a single thread, preferably your own, and work through the issues. It is unlikely that others are going to read through multiple threads and be able to determine the state of you installation and what steps you have taken. It also makes it difficult for others to read through threads that have unrelated information sprinkled throughout. Please review the section on posting tips here. http://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=showrules

You can also find many questions answered in https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ and https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCKnownIssues

Good luck.
    Str8

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast