Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Problems booting with 13.04 on PPC

Beans

Re: Problems booting with 13.04 on PPC

any ideas why the installer crashes at 80% and why rekong crashes?

Gus

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gusduenas View Post
    any ideas why the installer crashes at 80% and why rekong crashes?

Gus
    I didn't try to install Kubuntu 13.04 yet. But I noticed that rekonq crashes even from the live cd.
    I never use Rekonq (I use Firefox), but maybe you should check the logs.
    Linux Mint 17.3 running on my AMD A8-6600K desktop; .Ubuntu 15.10 running on a Intel i5 6200U @2.30 GHz laptop

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by michiganmac View Post
    Great! Glad to see it worked.

I've never done a full install on the Sawtooth with the nVidia card. I've only done full installs with Radeon 9000 Pro and Radeon 9800 Pro cards. I only installed the nVidia card to test the live CD for you.

With Radeon cards, once the full installation is done, the computer boots normally with no extra boot parameters needed. I think it will work the same way for the nVidia cards, but I can't say for sure because I haven't actually done it. So, you'll just have to try it and see.

If you go ahead with the full installation, check the option box that allows the installer to automatically download updates from the internet while it is doing the installation. If it works for you, let us know, and then mark the thread as solved.

Nice job, and good luck with the full installation!
    Ok, I'll try that later today and I will let you know. Btw, how do you mark the thread as solved with this new design of the forums? I tried that with a previous post and I couldn't find the way to do it. I thought it was in the "thread tools", but apparently not.
    Linux Mint 17.3 running on my AMD A8-6600K desktop; .Ubuntu 15.10 running on a Intel i5 6200U @2.30 GHz laptop

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by canhoto View Post
    Ok, I'll try that later today and I will let you know. Btw, how do you mark the thread as solved with this new design of the forums? I tried that with a previous post and I couldn't find the way to do it. I thought it was in the "thread tools", but apparently not.
    Let me know if suceed, so far rekong crashes and firefox didn't install at all....stuck without installing anything.....any Help will be appreciated

Beans

well at this time I cannot get the installation, don't you know how can I get the logs to see what is wrong with it also do you why it this thing didn't let me to do the installation? pretty weird right?

Beans

BTW firefox finally installed and I'm writing from it.

Beans

I've never done a full install on the Sawtooth with the nVidia card. I've only done full installs with Radeon 9000 Pro and Radeon 9800 Pro cards. I only installed the nVidia card to test the live CD for you.

With Radeon cards, once the full installation is done, the computer boots normally with no extra boot parameters needed. I think it will work the same way for the nVidia cards, but I can't say for sure because I haven't actually done it. So, you'll just have to try it and see.

If you go ahead with the full installation, check the option box that allows the installer to automatically download updates from the internet while it is doing the installation. If it works for you, let us know, and then mark the thread as solved.

Nice job, and good luck with the full installation!
    Well, unfortunately it doesn't boot. I did the full clean installation of Lubuntu. I rebooted and, after a short blank screen (the one that you have when you start from the live cd with the booting parameters), then some messages on a black screen and finally... a black screen. It's all that I have now. I can't even write the boot parameters at booting, I think I don't have a choice to do it. Any help?

Beans

Can you tell me what do you have in yaboot.conf? Do you have any special boot options regarding the graphics card?

I tried to change the yaboot.conf file with the booting parameters of the live cd (well, adapting them) but I always end up with the blank screen where you can write "blind" with the live cd, but where nothing happens. My lest trial was removing all special parameters from yaboot.conf (running ybin -v afterwards), but I still have the white screen.

Beans

Last edited by canhoto; May 6th, 2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: wrong place

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by canhoto View Post
    Can you tell me what do you have in yaboot.conf? Do you have any special boot options regarding the graphics card?

I tried to change the yaboot.conf file with the booting parameters of the live cd (well, adapting them) but I always end up with the blank screen where you can write "blind" with the live cd, but where nothing happens. My lest trial was removing all special parameters from yaboot.conf (running ybin -v afterwards), but I still have the white screen.
    I only have experience booting the live CD with a nVidia card in the Sawtooth. Remember, that was your original question. I have no experience with a full install--except with a radeon card. So, this is technically "above my pay grade".

However, I did some checking and there may be a workaround for your problem on this page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lu...tation/FAQ/PPC

Read through the workaround. I think you could start at Step #3 because you already have a complete installation. This is what I would try, but I don't like giving recommendations for things I haven't actually performed myself.

As always, if you attempt this, please report what you find. Good luck.
    Last edited by michiganmac; May 6th, 2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: clarification

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast