Thread: Problems installing virtualenv & virtualenvwrapper

Beans

Problems installing virtualenv & virtualenvwrapper

I am trying to install virtualenv and wrapper and I get the following error:

IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pymongo-2.4.2.egg-info/top_level.txt'

I indeed dont have permission to that file.

I have tried doing everything when in the root account and most of it works,
    except when I come to actually using virtualenv.

When I "source" for a new environment, it does not work, and "sudo source" doesnt work, as we know.

Today I discovered that I get the same error when doing "pip freeze" so it is an access problem but
    I do not know how to solve this...

appreciate the help, thanks...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Problems installing virtualenv & virtualenvwrapper

Having exactly the same problem. Following the instructions:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install python-pip
    $sudo pip install virtualenv
    $sudo pip install virtualenvwrapper
    $mkdir ~/.virtualenvs
    Then appending this to my ~/.bashrc file:

Code:
    export WORKON_HOME=~/.virtualenvs
    export PROJECT_HOME=$HOME/Projects
    source /usr/local/bin/virtualenvwrapper.sh

When I run
    Code:
    source ~/.bashrc
    I get the following:

Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 162, in _run_module_as_main
        "__main__", fname, loader, pkg_name)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/runpy.py", line 72, in _run_code
        exec code in run_globals
      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/virtualenvwrapper/hook_loader.py", line 16, in <module>
        from stevedore import ExtensionManager
      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/stevedore/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
        #
      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/stevedore/extension.py", line 4, in <module>
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2727, in <module>
        add_activation_listener(lambda dist: dist.activate())
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 700, in subscribe
        callback(dist)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2727, in <lambda>
        add_activation_listener(lambda dist: dist.activate())
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2227, in activate
        self.insert_on(path)
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2334, in insert_on
        self.check_version_conflict()
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2373, in check_version_conflict
        for modname in self._get_metadata('top_level.txt'):
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2221, in _get_metadata
        for line in self.get_metadata_lines(name):
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 1209, in get_metadata_lines
        return yield_lines(self.get_metadata(name))
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 1201, in get_metadata
        return self._get(self._fn(self.egg_info,name))
      File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 1316, in _get
        stream = open(path, 'rb')
    IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/virtualenv_clone-0.2.4.egg-info/top_level.txt'
    virtualenvwrapper.sh: There was a problem running the initialization hooks. 

If Python could not import the module virtualenvwrapper.hook_loader,
    check that virtualenv has been installed for
    VIRTUALENVWRAPPER_PYTHON=/usr/bin/python and that PATH is
    set properly.
    Looks like there were some similar problems previously a few years back - but recently it seems that others are getting this working in ubuntu without any hassle...

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Problems installing virtualenv & virtualenvwrapper

Had some dinner and came back to this. I hate messing with permissions / groups with a tool like pip and the packages it installs - but I can't find a better solution. It looks like pip is setting the group for packages to "staff".

Code:
    $ ls -l /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/virtualenv_clone-0.2.4.egg-info/top_level.txt 
    -rw-r----- 1 root staff 16 May 13 00:46 /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/virtualenv_clone-0.2.4.egg-info/top_level.txt
    Adding my user to the staff group sorted me out. Is the group for all pip installed packages set to staff? Are you supposed to add yourself to this group when you install pip? I didn't see this in the documentation and I used pip on a python project a few months back on another ubuntu machine and never ran into this. Strange...