Thread: Lubuntu 12.04 Broadcom 4312 wireless mess

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unhappy Lubuntu 12.04 Broadcom 4312 wireless mess

Ok. so this is a HUGE mess.
    I have installed Lubuntu on an Acer Aspire One, everything perfect until I unplug the network cable... No wireless, I have tried everything so far and no success. The last I had was wireless, but had to go to software source and choose the driver everytime I started my computer, that was OK, minimum acceptable, but after the last update, I got this double options and no internet. If you choose anything but the marked options, it simply goes back without any changes.

Please help! There has to be a way!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lenovo Ideapad Y530
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz
    4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
    Intel Integrated Graphics X4500

Beans

Re: Lubuntu 12.04 Broadcom 4312 wireless mess!!

You might get prompter response if you post this under the "networking wireless" forum. Certainly a search there for 4312 will turn up a lot of information applicable to your problem. From the lpphy in your post, I'd guess your chip is the low power version. The b43 driver should work fine and should be present in your normal install, but I'm not familiar with lubuntu, just Ubuntu. That driver needs firmware, which is available in package firmware-b43-lpphy-installer -- but you may already have the firmware from the listed linux-firmware-nonfree above -- just not sure it's the correct version for you. Really, just adding the correct firmware and the b43 driver should start working with network manager. If you tried any other drivers like the Broadcom STA driver, then maybe there is some cleanup to do to remove all traces of them, some of which interfere with the b43 driver. Look for any
    line exactly like "blacklist b43" in any file in directory /etc/modprobe.d, and delete or comment them out with an editor. See if the b43 driver is listed in the "lsmod" command -- it should be there after a reboot. Explicity add it with "sudo modprobe b43" and see if that starts networking. Do check the other forum, your chip is not that new and is well supported, just too many possible choices which can mix things up.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Lubuntu 12.04 Broadcom 4312 wireless mess

Quote Originally Posted by ubfan1 View Post
    You might get prompter response if you post this under the "networking wireless" forum.
    Moved.

Slightly off topic: It sounds like a new installation. Why did you pick such old version as 12.04?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It was the available version when I installed it. The main problem is that I don't have wireless connection even though I have downloaded, installed and uninstalled every firmware related to this.
    Lenovo Ideapad Y530
    Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz
    4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
    Intel Integrated Graphics X4500

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Moved.

Slightly off topic: It sounds like a new installation. Why did you pick such old version as 12.04?
    The OP isn't helping anyone help him/her with his/her lack of many important details, but calling 12.04...the last LTS build...old is a bit of a stretch, isn't it?

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi, lets see if we can get this working for you.
    Please COPY and paste the following
    then post the output..
    Code:
    lspci -nn | egrep '0200|0280'
    lsmod
    cat /etc/modules
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    rfkill list all
    thanks.
    Craving anchovy, herring and squid pizza.....with clam sauce