Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invisible mouse pointer after 13.04 upgrade

Beans

Invisible mouse pointer after 13.04 upgrade

0 down vote favorite I just installed 13.04 and I couldn't help but notice that the mouse pointer is invisible on the desktop. It appears in apps once I manage to launch them with the invisible pointer. Help! ps this is a VMWare VM, and I don't THINK that's relevant in this case, but you never know....
    PPS I am able to see the pointer on "Xubuntu Session" and default(which looks to be "Xubuntu Session") desktops. fortunately, I had a bunch of desktops installed. I'm still working on this - I just upgraded - if I come up with a solution, I'll be sure to post. Next, I will try a different login screen(Using gde, presently....)

ppps The other login screens don't matter, although this reminds me to mention the pointer is visible on all the login screens - gde, kde, or the kdlite, or whatever the last one is....
    Last edited by zlot; May 3rd, 2013 at 03:14 AM. Reason: clarification

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Invisible mouse pointer after 13.04 upgrade

Reset your Unity profile... has been a problem that some things didn't get translated well using the 12.10 unity profile with 13.04...

Install the unity-tweak-tool
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install unity-tweak-tool
    Then do a reset via:
    Code:
    unity-tweak-tool --reset-unity
    That will reset the profile back to the default settings... but it will all be a 13.04 Unity default profile.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 4th, 2013 at 02:38 AM.
    Concurrent coexistance of Windows, Linux and Unix...
    Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: [all variants] Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

Terminal takes exception to the reset:
    E: Command line option --reset-unity is not understood

I had hoped a reboot would accomplish a reset, but although your first line worked fine, I still have no mouse pointer after a reboot.
    Thanks for the attempt, at any rate.
    So I went to the Tweak Tool itself, changed the cursor, losing it entirely(invisible, stilll functional with a bit of imagination), then reset to default and returned to my original condition. I'm going to reboot in hopes that by doing something with the Tweak Tool, I'ver written a reset config file. If it works, I'll edit this post with the info, if not, then I'm pointless still.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sorry, was doing multiple things at once... Cutting Marble; splitting rounds from a tree I cut up this morning, sharpening a chainsaw, working on my opensource project and answering posts. I corrected my last post... it should have been
    Code:
    unity-tweak-tool --reset-unity
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 4th, 2013 at 02:42 AM.

Beans

I tried that to no avail. Not only that, I managed to REALLY wreck the Ubuntu desktop. Now I have NOTHING, save for a doc file and 2 shortcuts! No notification bars - no NOTHING. I tried to remove and reinstall unity...and something went very wrong! I even managed to wreck the system default/Xubuntu session, but I seem to have that back, albeit slightly altered - nothing major. I'm going to try to find the commands for reinstalling Unity, and hopefully, the notification bar will return as well. I just hope I can pull that together!

Beans

Amazingly enough, the Ubuntu desktop is restored, but still without the mouse pointer....
    I'm getting a bit spastic now - I did a couple of things, one of which was to move a config file. I think that might have done it.
    Last edited by zlot; May 4th, 2013 at 04:06 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I guess the best advice for the moment is "Remember to breath" and "Don't take things too seriously, your computer is not life and death" There is nothing there (system wise) that can't be recreated.

Unity right? Let me research if I can find what file in Unity has the mouse reference/mapping.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Okay--

Please post the results of:
    Code:
    cat /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme && sudo update-alternatives --display x-cursor-theme
    Sort of it my output looks like this:
    mafoelffen@maferr-ubuntu-1:~$ cat /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme && sudo update-alternatives --display x-cursor-theme
    [Icon Theme]
    Inherits=DMZ-White
    x-cursor-theme - auto mode
    link currently points to /usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/cursor.theme
    /etc/X11/cursors/core.theme - priority 30
    /etc/X11/cursors/handhelds.theme - priority 20
    /etc/X11/cursors/redglass.theme - priority 20
    /etc/X11/cursors/whiteglass.theme - priority 20
    /usr/share/icons/DMZ-Black/cursor.theme - priority 30
    /usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/cursor.theme - priority 90
    Current 'best' version is '/usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/cursor.theme'.

Beans

Thanks so much for your interest. this appears to be a fairly common problem as I search the annals of Google and Ubuntu!
    Obsession can be fun!
    And I might accidentally even learn something, although the best I can do right now is Google. Linux commands just don't want to stick in my head!
    At any rate, my output is similar to your with a few extras....
    [Icon Theme]
    Inherits=DMZ-White
    [sudo] password for frank:
    x-cursor-theme - auto mode
    link currently points to /usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/cursor.theme
    /etc/X11/cursors/core.theme - priority 30
    /etc/X11/cursors/handhelds.theme - priority 20
    /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-black.theme - priority 40
    /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-blue.theme - priority 40
    /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-white.theme - priority 50
    /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-yellow.theme - priority 40
    /etc/X11/cursors/oxy-zion.theme - priority 40
    /etc/X11/cursors/redglass.theme - priority 20
    /etc/X11/cursors/whiteglass.theme - priority 20
    /usr/share/icons/DMZ-Black/cursor.theme - priority 30
    /usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/cursor.theme - priority 90
    Current 'best' version is '/usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/cursor.theme'.

Thanks again!
    ~Z~

ps What cracks me up about all this is how the pointer appears in app windows, but not on the desktop or the toolbar on the edge of the window, or and Ubuntu menu that may appear in the app window(copy, paste, select, &tc.) So, for instance, I can use Thunderbird or Firefox pretty easily, but if I want to launch another program from the launcher it's tricky. And while I suspect this has little to do with VMWare, just to be safe I DID reinstall VMWare tools. The fact it's a virtual machine actually helps, because I can tell where the pointer is by hitting ctrl-alt, which takes the mouse OUT of the VM and avails it to the VMWare program or the real computer. I just click and it's back in virtual Ubuntu. But from what I've been reading, this is an Ubuntu problem, not a VMWare problem.
    Last edited by zlot; May 4th, 2013 at 06:15 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm wondering what would happen if you installed and configured another cursor theme... such as
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install oxygen-cursor-theme oxygen-cursor-theme-extra
    Then in the dconf editor... I can't remember if that is a default app or extra. If not default, it is worth installing... Anyways, then go tp org.gnome.desktop.interface... cursor theme. (see attached photo).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast