Thread: Geany: configuration directory

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Geany: configuration directory

I just installed Kubuntu 13.04 normally from a DVD. Then, using Synaptics Package Manager, I installed geany and its plugins, which I have been using for years now). However, now when I start geany (either from the 'start menu' or from the console, a window pops up saying

# -----------------------
    Configuration directory could not be created (Permission denied).
    There could be some problems using Geany without a configuration directory.
    Start Geany anyway?
    # -----------------------

However, geany's configuration directory is where it's supposed to be (according to the geany online manual): /home/Ctulhu/.config/geany/

What can I do to get rid of that window and use geany normally?
    C

Beans

Re: Geany: configuration directory

Check the permissions of /home/Ctulhu/.config/geany/ and all it's subfolders and files. Make sure you have permission to read/write to files and create/delete files in folders. This problem occurs if you copied any of your Home folder from another installation. The permissions are immediately set to Root because user 'ctulho' is not recognised on the new system, even if you logged on with the same name.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Geany: configuration directory

TBH, I can't imagine that that's the problem because it was a completely fresh install, w/ formatting all partitions etc., but one never knows so I will of course try it, thx!

Beans
    Distro

[SOLVED] Re: Geany: configuration directory

You were right, it was the permissions issue, the whole folder was owned by root and I changed that; now it works, thanks a lot. Non idea how this could have happened with the normal kind of installation, I gotta say, but who cares now

(And if there was a menu/button or something in Thread Tools or Go Advanced, I would even mark this as SOLVED ...)
    Last edited by Ctulhu; May 3rd, 2013 at 05:16 PM.