Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use hard disk with installed Ubuntu in another PC

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Use hard disk with installed Ubuntu in another PC

I installed and use Ubuntu on an older PC for 8 months now (so I made many adjustments).
    Can I take the hard disk and simply use it in another PC ? Or is the installation ONLY usable with the current hardware settings?

If I cannot simply use the hard disk in another PC, what's the easiest way to get my Ubuntu - and with my settings - to the other PC?

thx

Beans

Re: Use hard disk with installed Ubuntu in another PC

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; June 24th, 2013 at 09:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thank you! Perfect perfect. I have a built in Intel GMA 950 on motherboard, nothing special.

I also have Dual Boot with Windows XP, I am curious if Windows will work with new Hardware,
    but this machine is a HP Compaq DC 7600, so it's a special Windows XP Installation.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Resistent View Post
    I am curious if Windows will work with new Hardware
    Most probably it won't unless HDD controller is the same. There are tricks to force new hardware detection though. Example: http://www.gcsdstaff.org/roodhouse/?p=867

Such tricks are not supported by MS, so use them at your own risk. And since they involve registry edits, be careful not to remove/change more than necessary.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: Use hard disk with installed Ubuntu in another PC

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    Most probably it won't unless HDD controller is the same. There are tricks to force new hardware detection though. Example: http://www.gcsdstaff.org/roodhouse/?p=867

Such tricks are not supported by MS, so use them at your own risk. And since they involve registry edits, be careful not to remove/change more than necessary.
    I will try thanks

Beans

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; June 24th, 2013 at 09:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

The hard disk is in a HP Compaq DC 7600 SFF with original Windows XP and I have the Key. The destination PC is my 2004 fanless Desktop PC with Hardware from 2004 (Asus Mobo, AMD x64 CPU). Maybe I change the Mobo and CPU (I have the capacity to cool 1000 Watt, the case is 20 kg Aluminium, so I will install a good AMD CPU) . After installing the Hard Disk in this PC, I want to make a Windows 8 Upgrade (Very sad, but I need Windows because of 2 applications.)
    At this time, when I start the Windows Update Checker - which tells you if your hardware is "ok" for the new Windows - it talks about some problems. If I really could use this hard disk, and I have new hardware the Windows Update Checker would not find problems.

Real fun, I am watching the AMD stock chart now for a while, it was obvious that it will rise. Today it rose about 18 %. They think that Intel want to buy AMD.

Beans

~

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I have no experience yet with Virtual Machines. Maybe yes, I could try.

The Windows applications I need are:
    - I made some C# applications under Windows (and I could not port to Monodevelop as they use special Windows c# stuff)
    - An e-banking application which has no Linux version (and has database)
    - Canon EOS Software (no Linux version available), ok there is RawTherapee but original software would be better (faster, exactly was written for my Canon EOS).

Beans

~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast