Thread: Wine Not Opening PDF

Beans

Wine Not Opening PDF

Hi! I'm trying to run a CD in Ubuntu 12.04. I installed Wine, then right clicked on the exe file on the disk, clicked on Open With Wine Windows Program Loader and voila!, the program opens. I clicked on a chapter header, and then it opened in a Wine Internet Explorer window. Actually, it didn't open---just the Wine Internet Explorer window opened and nothing happened. It says in the program that these are pdf files to be opened in Adobe Acrobat Reader. So I installed Acrobat, clicked on the chapter header, and it just opened the Internet Explorer window again. Why won't it open in pdf format? I can run the CD in XP, and it opens in Acrobat there when I click on the chapter header, but since this is a linux training CD, I need it to open in Ubuntu so I can use the terminal. What can I do to rectify this? Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Wine Not Opening PDF

Do you know what the programs on your disc are called? If you do, you could always insert the disc into the drive and browse the drive using files (nautilus), and install from there.

With regard to Acrobat, you'd probably need to download and install the Windows version for a Windows disc to work with WINE. Ubuntu already has an Acrobat alternative installed by default.

WINE isn't perfect, so something's don't work as you'd expect - if at all.

Seems odd to have a Linux training CD that doesn't have a Linux version! lol.
    Windows free since '09 - never looked back!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Instead of double-clicking on chapter headings, try right clicking and then point to the adobe app to open it.

Be advised though, even if that works, you will still have problems if they've embedded Windows stuff in the training, like a PowerPoint slide using OLE to embed a video.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Thanks for the responses. I tried right clicking the chapter headers, then clicking on open---the only options are open and open in another window, but nothing happend either time. I can access the files in the CD directory and click on them, and then they open. So I'll just have to use it this way. I'd still like to figure out what the problem is, but...