Thread: Will Anyone Continue Developing Unity 2D?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Will Anyone Continue Developing Unity 2D?

I became a big fan of Unity but I am primarily a netbook user and version 12.10+ are complete garbage on my Acer AspireOne now that I am forced to use the fully featured version of Unity.

Is there any chance Unity 2D can be run over another distro, like Mint? Is anyone picking up the ball and running with it to bring a modern interface to low-power machines?
    Korea: HP Mini w/ Peppermint OS (Lucid)
    US: Dell Inspiron 600m with RAM upgrade to 756M.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Will Anyone Continue Developing Unity 2D?

You got 12o4 with Unity 2d supported till 2017. By then your old laptop should be ready for replacement.

Beans
    Hidden!

I don't think Unity 2d will be used elsewhere. I think Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is very stable and nice, so you don't really need a new version. But if you want a new version, you have to look for other desktop environments. There are plenty of them. I suggest you download a few iso files, make boot USB drives and test them live before deciding what to run. Within the Ubuntu family, Lubuntu and Xubuntu work well with netbooks and aging laptops.

If there is enough space on your internal drive, you can have a multiboot setup with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and some new version side by side.
    Last edited by sudodus; May 1st, 2013 at 01:38 PM. Reason: suggesting Lubuntu and Xubuntu

Beans

13.04 works well with Acer ZG5, thanks to the new Unity 7. 12.04 is heavy on it, its really slow. If you are willing to change to a small SSD, 128 or 64 GB, things will be fast, and they should be cheap now, comparable to 1TB HDD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You can also turn off the transparency and animations in Unity 3D.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

13.10 is supposed to have an all-new Qt-based version of Unity. Don't know if it will relate or use code from Unity 2D at all, but hopefully it will meet everyone's needs without having to maintain the older implementations.

Beans

Why don't you just use another DE? Unity, (even 2D) is quite resource-consuming. Why don't you try GNOME or XFCE? 12.04 will support Unity 2D until you need to replace that computer. You can also just turn of transparency and animations in 3D.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.