Thread: Risks of using an older PPA ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Risks of using an older PPA ?

Hi,

There's a few softwares that I can't install on Raring yet, since I believe the PPAs are not updated yet for it. One of the reasons I updated to Raring, was to use the Clementine-Lense-Music. It's availible on Precise, but it's buggy (The lens can play an whole album, but not individual songs). The developper released a fix for Quantal (I can't fix it under Precise. Maybe I'm not good, or it's just not possible yet?). I've asked the developper if he planned to release a fix for Precise, and unfortunately haven't got a reply.

The PPA is not availible under Raring yet (404: not found). So I've tried something - I've opened the Softwares Sources (software-properties-gtk), and modified " ppa:markjtully/ppa raring " to " ppa:markjtully/ppa quantal ". After a logoff, the lens is working perfectly! :O

I was wondering if there is a risk, maybe with security/stability, when using an older PPA like I'm doing (It seems to be the only availible option, for now) ?
    Can I safely do this for my non-working software (I have other lens that aren't updated to Raring yet) ? That'll be great.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Risks of using an older PPA ?

Hi

One of the biggest causes of dependency problems are mismatched sources; so yes, there is a risk involved.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    Hi

One of the biggest causes of dependency problems are mismatched sources; so yes, there is a risk involved.

Kind regards
    Even for an "innocent" small Unity-Lens ?

Is there another workaround?
    Thanks for the fast reply.

EDIT: Reading this, now:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/87407...om-old-release
    Last edited by GameX2; April 30th, 2013 at 11:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by GameX2 View Post
    Even for an "innocent" small Unity-Lens ?
    LOL .

I believe some lens' are written in python. That should be all right but as I'm not using Ubuntu i cannot check.

Is there another workaround?
    Thanks for the fast reply.

EDIT: Reading this, now:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/87407...om-old-release
    The main work around, as stated by the link above, is to build from source. It will link into the correct libraries - assuming it builds.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?