Thread: I think I accidentally Overclocked my GPU

Beans

I think I accidentally Overclocked my GPU

I have a Samsung NP500 laptop with Nvidia GT650M Optimus. I have installed bumblebee on my 13.04 and it works fine. Yesterday I was curious at measuring the GPU temp and found somewhere that i install NVCLOCK and use the command nvclock -t. I did that and installed nvclock and nvclock_gtk. The command however did not work for me and it didnt show the temps. But now my system is overheating and fan is running. bumblebee says that the dedicated graphics card is off. Still the heat level is high. I uninstalled Nvclock promptly, but the heating remains. NVClock is a utility to primarily overclock the GPU. It is an old software with last release in 2008. Did I overclock my GPU accidentally by installing it ? If so how can i measure the clock speed ? How can i reset it to stock speeds ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: I think I accidentally Overclocked my GPU

My knowlege is very limited in this, but no, it should not have OC your GPU just by installing it (I could be wrong). And have you tried the purge command when uninstalling it?
    I'd imagen it would un-do any OC it could have done just by uninstalling it.
    Sorry, sure this is pretty useless info.
    Cheers!
    Phenom II X4 955 Denab BE OC 3.8mhz | 8gig G.Skill 1600 RAM | Corsair 750 PSU | XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 x2 | 1TB WD Black HDD Win7 | 160gig WD HDD Ubuntu 13.10
    --Feel like your question has been answered, mark as SOLVED!

Beans

Thanks for the quick reply ppjdee. Can you tell me how to use the purge command ?? Is the Overclocking done on a driver level or a firmware level ?? I mean if it is done in the firmware level even when i boot into windows it should be overclocked rite ?? even with the software uninstalled. Do you have any info on that ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The command is

sudo apt-get remove --purge nvclock

but I doubt it will make any difference. Purge deletes the package file (.deb) from your apt archive (/var/cache/apt/) and also deletes the program's configuration files (if there are any) from your /etc directory, but neither of those things should make any difference in how your system runs after uninstalling the program.

Does the laptop run correctly in Windows? If it does, at least you know that you haven't messed up the Nvidia card itself.