Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suacy Salamander Release Schedule, Partial Upgrades and Common Questions

Beans

Re: Saucy Release Schedule, Partial Upgrades and Common Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    From what I remember in one of the vUDS sessions (memory has been verified by someone else now ) - the saucy schedule was 'built' a long time ago, it 'should' have been changed about to be like the raring one - but hasn't been yet from what I can see. I subscribed to the wiki as I'm waiting for the changes to appear myself.
    I opened a communication at Lubuntu QA:

https://lists.launchpad.net/lubuntu-qa/msg02511.html

And Nicholas did reply

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I opened a communication at Lubuntu QA:

https://lists.launchpad.net/lubuntu-qa/msg02511.html

And Nicholas did reply
    Thanks, too many bad memories of that mailing list to actually subscribe to it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There seems to be a lot of extra noise on all of the Q/A mailing lists, it's to the point where I'm thinking about unsubscribing from all of them, as I'm getting tired of the continuing off-topic conversations that are filling up my inbox.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    There seems to be a lot of extra noise on all of the Q/A mailing lists, it's to the point where I'm thinking about unsubscribing from all of them, as I'm getting tired of the continuing off-topic conversations that are filling up my inbox.
    I actually did that once

In my case I can now only do one thing at a time if I want a better than 50% success rate, too much chatter just results in confusion.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    Thanks, too many bad memories of that mailing list to actually subscribe to it.
    Are you sure it was Lubuntu QA?

I had some problems at Lubuntu Users, but PhillW is a great listener and moderator at Lubuntu QA

That said, if memory serves correctly, you're an Xubuntu fan - nothing at all wrong with that - but in my experience if we try to split our focus too much we end up doing a less than stellar job across the board

I know this time I'm going to focus mostly on upgrades, then secondarily on i386 installs of Lubuntu and Ubuntu GNOME.

Upgrade testing is incredibly time consuming and it's one of those things that is grossly under-tested.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Upgrade testing is incredibly time consuming and it's one of those things that is grossly under-tested.
    Since Dapper Drake Beta I've been burnt royally with upgrades so I don't do that any more. I've got a setup exec that does most of my customizations so a new install bootiing the zsync'd iso directly from the hard drive is quick and painless (if the iso isn't busted like a couple days ago). Also upgrades with a lot of orphan code and larger and larger logs result in a much fatter disk space used than new installs. So in the days of multi GB hard drives who cares about disk space? I've got three linux images plus archive library on this USB attached 80 GB SSD so multiple linux partitions do chew up space.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Since Dapper Drake Beta I've been burnt royally with upgrades so I don't do that any more. I've got a setup exec that does most of my customizations so a new install bootiing the zsync'd iso directly from the hard drive is quick and painless (if the iso isn't busted like a couple days ago). Also upgrades with a lot of orphan code and larger and larger logs result in a much fatter disk space used than new installs. So in the days of multi GB hard drives who cares about disk space? I've got three linux images plus archive library on this USB attached 80 GB SSD so multiple linux partitions do chew up space.
    That's all the more reason to test both upgrade processes and report any failures on the QA tracker

Beans
    Distro

Concerning Partial Upgrades

I've noticed that using the Swedish server give me partial upgrades aplenty. this because the mirroring script it uses doesn't copy all the new files in one go, or something. Switching to upgrading from the main server solves that.

I don't know if they fixed this because it's been a while since I used the swedish server.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I noticed that final release for Saucy is October 17th. When the final ISO is released will it ever be updated or will there be a one time ISO dated October 17th?
    Just curious.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    I noticed that final release for Saucy is October 17th. When the final ISO is released will it ever be updated or will there be a one time ISO dated October 17th?
    Just curious.
    The interim release iso's are never updated after release, as with any of the milestone releases, they are just a snapshot of the image at that particular time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast