Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VirtualBox + graphics acceleration

Beans

VirtualBox + graphics acceleration

Hello,
    I'm using 12.10 (wating minimum 1 week normally with system upgrade) and tried to install win 7 ultimate in VirtualBox.
    I couldn't set up my graphical acceleration in guest. I followed a lot of instructions from net, but nothing changed.
    There are many settings, so I do not insert everything here, please ask any You need.
    Here comes some:
    hardware: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5609249/
    VirtualBox settings: http://paste.ubuntu.com/5609275/
    Has anybody got idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: VirtualBox + graphics acceleration

Virtualbox creates a virtual machine. The virtual video adapter is not related to the actual video adapter in your computer. If you want acceleration, use dual-boot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    Virtualbox creates a virtual machine. The virtual video adapter is not related to the actual video adapter in your computer. If you want acceleration, use dual-boot.
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    Thank you! You helped me as well!

Beans

I never bothered to get 3D acceleration running on VirtualBox so I cannot confirm this, but I think Direct3D needs VirtualBox guest additions installed. So have you installed them? It was in experimental phases last time I saw so don't expect it to run too smoothly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ARooster View Post
    I never bothered to get 3D acceleration running on VirtualBox so I cannot confirm this, but I think Direct3D needs VirtualBox guest additions installed. So have you installed them? It was in experimental phases last time I saw so don't expect it to run too smoothly.
    I've changed, but nothing happened. The solution is multi booting, I think. I need an extra hdd.

Beans

Ah, then this is not about virtualisation, the question is in fact how to run two separate operating systems on the same computer. And you only need an extra HDD if the one you have is not large enough to accomodate two separate systems and all the data and software you need. If the hard drive is large enough just create multiple partitions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ARooster View Post
    Ah, then this is not about virtualisation, the question is in fact how to run two separate operating systems on the same computer. And you only need an extra HDD if the one you have is not large enough to accomodate two separate systems and all the data and software you need. If the hard drive is large enough just create multiple partitions.
    No. The question was: howto set up graphics acceleration in VirtualBox. The answer is: no way.
    I need an extra HDD, but this is my own problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madnbri View Post
    No. The question was: howto set up graphics acceleration in VirtualBox. The answer is: no way.
    Dual booting is probably the best method depending on what you want it for, but you can get acceleration within virtualbox, albeit experimental as mentioned above.

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Dual booting is probably the best method depending on what you want it for, but you can get acceleration within virtualbox, albeit experimental as mentioned above.

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html
    I've read this source before asked.
    But have got an idea:
    Maybe my 3D acceleration doesn't work in Ubuntu, therefore doesn't work in VB hosts.
    Does somebody know howto test it in Ubuntu?
    Googling...

Done.
    glxgears in mesa-utils package shows some rotary gears in 3D: it woks fine - this isn't be the problem
    Last edited by madnbri; April 28th, 2013 at 10:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast